sidemount rescue techniques ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hm: I'm thinking left arm under the victim's left arm, and grasp the inflator. Right arm around and holding reg in mouth. The victim's wing provides the ascent for both. This assumes the victim is stomach down, and the rescuer is on the victim's back.

I'd like to see you do that with Bob as the victim. :wink: (no offense, bob)

I'd like to see you do that with Bob as the victim. :wink: (no offense, bob)

I accept that challenge! :D Bob, when are you coming down?

NWGD has opened a good thread. As more divers adopt sidemount, for some, or all of their diving, this should prove to be a very good topic.

Bob has done a fine job with his gas management posts.

This sidemount discussion should have the same results-more divers, more informed-and safer.

My thought has been to disconnect the bottom clips, and fully inflate the wing. Once tilted on his/her back, the hanging tanks would keep the person there . . . unless they were empty AL80s, of course. It would seem to be an extremely stable platform.

As for recovering the diver, backmount recovery techniques would work as well on sidemount victims, would they not?

I never considered the inflation hose as a problem, since the location of the business end is the same place if it had been shouldered mounted . . . the rescuer is simply feeling for and operating the buttons.

Am I missing anything?

The only thing i think of with this Jax is the type of front bungee connection that you have on SM rig Jax. With the razor rig using the continuous bungee system if you unhooked the back clips the tanks would most likely fall off the rig, and the placement of the wing would result in the person wanting to roll over on their face. When i have been working with my razor 2 system I have to consciously think about making sure i don't roll on my face. However, I am also quite new to the rig, so i think this might get better with practice.

The only thing i think of with this Jax is the type of front bungee connection that you have on SM rig Jax. With the razor rig using the continuous bungee system if you unhooked the back clips the tanks would most likely fall off the rig, and the placement of the wing would result in the person wanting to roll over on their face. When i have been working with my razor 2 system I have to consciously think about making sure i don't roll on my face. However, I am also quite new to the rig, so i think this might get better with practice.

No kidding? You don't have clips and parachute cord as a backup? I'll have to make sure I check you Razor guys out!

No kidding? You don't have clips and parachute cord as a backup? I'll have to make sure I check you Razor guys out!
I'm using a Razor with a Hollis wing, and so far I've just used the bungie. I have been considerig a couple snap bolts with cord as a backup. Just haven't had the need yet in my first 2 trial excursions in the pool.

I'm thinking I will have to get with some Southwest Sand divers and propose some sidemount rescue training!

I think one of the main differences between normal BM rescue and a possible SM rescue is the placement of the wing inflator. With many sidemount divers choosing to run the inflator up from the inside bottom of the wing, it makes it difficult to position yourself behind the victim and control the ascent with their inflator pulled up in front of you.

If you were to position yourself in front of the victim to control their inflator, then keeping a reg in their mouth would be tricky as well.

I don't have a solution, but would be willing to try out some scenarios with you to see if we find something that works.

I have no problem either, and I think it's because of the 20lbs of lead in the weight pouches on our backs.

just control the ascent with their shoulder dump valve, you shouldn't have to add any air, and its in a better position to vent if its a horseshoe wing instead of a donut (ie nomad).

Reactions: Jax
:eek:fftopic:

You add weight to your sidemount rig?

:focus:
Yup ... 20# for LP95's and 18# for HP100's ... although now that the water temp's up to 50 degrees folks are starting to switch over to their warm water undergarments and reducing the amount of lead they need ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

just control the ascent with their shoulder dump valve, you shouldn't have to add any air, and its in a better position to vent if its a horseshoe wing instead of a donut (ie nomad).
true, but you'd need to get to their inflator to keep them afloat on the surface. also, in certain cases you may need to add air to the wing to help start the ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom