Silent computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't so much hate the alarm, I just hate the diver that can not acknowledge the alarm by turning it off and resolving the issue.

Not all computers can be silenced, no matter how many buttons a diver presses trying to get them to shut up. Mine is like that, which is a big reason it's in silent mode now.

I turn my alarms off - two reasons - 1) I check my PDC like I check my SPG - very often - like my car rear view mirror I glance so often I don't even notice that I am checking - but I am always checking. 2) Save battery life.
Get used to looking and validate what you already know on your dive profile - this will keep you out of trouble - NDL, Depth, Time and ascent rate are things I look at in a glance.

Even when using computers with alarms, I've never heard them going off. With a tight hood, I hear so many random bubbly noises that my brain tunes out strange sounds, I think :p

I'm like you, I never hear any "alarms" until I listen back to my go pro video. When I have observed it alerting me it's because I'm receiving a PPO warning of 1.2, which isn't really an alarm. I have it set to alarm at 1.4, so it does a warning when you reach within .2 of the alarm setting. I've only observed this behavior because I was looking at it.

So to me, the audible alarms are pointless unless I can make them louder and mine is set to max.

With the type of hood I'm using, the question of alarm or no alarm is pretty moot. I don't hear a f$&!ing thing underwater. And neither does my buddy.

Warm water diving with a thin hood, that's quite another story...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

silent computer for the silent world...

The more alarms the better- sound, vibrate, siren. People do not monitor their gauges often enough. That is one of my five "bad habits" of recreational divers. Novices do better that casual divers, and some divers who know better can be bad at monitoring their depth and air. The mare bells and whistles, the better, I say.
DivemasterDennisIf the offending diver doesn't notice them, maybe his buddy will.

The more alarms the better- sound, vibrate, siren. People do not monitor their gauges often enough. That is one of my five "bad habits" of recreational divers. Novices do better that casual divers, and some divers who know better can be bad at monitoring their depth and air. The mare bells and whistles, the better, I say.

I vote for shock collars when the stupidity level is too high.

I left some of the alarms turned on on my luna. Ascent rate, and reserve gas. I've read FAR to many posts from more experienced divers than I about some OOA incident or another. I've never tripped that reserve gas alarm (except deliberately in my pool when 500psi in a 6' pool doesn't matter much). I personally think the alarms are a good thing. Do a search on scubaboard for OOA. You'll find folks posting stories how they got surprised due to task loading or some other reason. With an alarm (as long as you can hear it) you have just one more level of safety.

As for the people who do a whole dive with the computer wailing... well, unfortunately those are also likely the people to be tearing up the reef with bad skills, and doing a host of other bad things underwater. This is just a drop in the ol' bucket. Excepting folks who have hearing problems; there's not a good excuse. That said, there should be a way to silence/acknowledge the alarm during a dive. On the Galileo, there's not.

I just recently bought a couple petrel for cave diving. No air integration, so no alarms to be had. Unfortunate IMO, but it is what it is.

That's my opinion. Worth not much, but it is mine just the same.

DivemasterDennisIf the offending diver doesn't notice them, maybe his buddy will.

This is right up there with vibrating HUDs. The diver already has a flashing lightshow literally centimetres from their eyeballs, and I'm supposed to believe that adding some auditory and tactile effects to the freakshow is going to make them a better diver? If one cannot safely dive in a quiet manner, one should just stay on the boat. Listening to a herd of idiots' beeping computers is not why I go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom