Single malt Scotch (Islay) afficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
Friends don't let friends drink blended Scotches.

GreenM...what is your favorite everyday Islay? I'm definitely partial to Lagavulin.

(And yes, Arborlour was referencing their own selection for it's characteristics)

'Tis a tossup between Lagavulin and Laphroiag.

When I want a kick in the chops I reach for the Ardbeg.

Caol Ila is enjoyable but no so much so that I'd have to keep some on hand. If it was on sale I'd buy some if I was low on Scotch (perish that thought)

I care not for Bowmore.

Bruichladdich and Bunnahabain are preferable to Bowmore but a bit too mild for me. My wife is partial to the Bunna.

I am ever on the lookout for Port Ellen, which I have not had the pleasure of yet, but I suspect I'll not see that any time soon :-(

G_M

Tassie_Rohan:
What - next you will be telling me you dont serve it in a sugar-frosted cocktail glass with a cherry and little upbrella on top! You do at least have the funny shaped straws don't you?

:D

Yep - neat is the only way to go.

I don’t as much drink Laphroaig as inhale it. Lagavulin is also a good drop but I've never tried any other Islay malts: any recommendations?

One of these days I'm going to have to make a pilgrimage and do the scotch trail: but I heard its a bit touristy.

Is there any good diving done around Islay? Maybe I can knock both Scapa Flow and the trail off in one go.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Well cripes man, if you have enjoyed Lagavulin and Laphroaig, then grab an Ardbeg (same area of Islay) and hold on !!!

VinceDS:
You sre correct...the thought of mixing is blasphemy...

can one say :Neat:...

Tragically, I have met barkeeps (at a Robbie Burns Night of all places) that were not aware of "neat".

"Would you like water and ice with that?" I was asked.

"Good God lassie, are ye daft?"

I was quite upset that due to a late flight on a business trip, I missed a local evening with Jim Murray...my dad had a great time and some wonderful tasting notes....grumble, grumble.

(If you have to ask...you don't know crrrraaaap!)

Saddest story I have ever heard was of a friend of mine who came home to find his sister cooking with his Lagavulin 16. Near broke his heart.

I'll speak on behalf of Bowmore's Darkest. Not half-bad and a good mix of flavors that's almost half Islay, half Highland. If I were limited to two scotches for the rest of my life they would be the Lagavulin 16 for easy times and the Ardbeg 10 for the hard times.

Supernal: If you are getting into Scotches, a guide that I found useful is Michael Jackson's "Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch." Make sure you try a few from each region.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_1/002-5054449-3360040?_encoding=UTF8

Jim Murray's Scotch Bible is THE reference.

bwerb:
Jim Murray's Scotch Bible is THE reference.

What are the comparable failings of MJ vs. JM?

at an eatery and a friend offered to by me a drink.

"Sure" says I "let's see what the bar has for single malt".

We walked to the bar and I asked "whaddayahave for single malt Scotch?"

"Whaddayawant? We got lots." was the chipper little chicky's reply.

"Lagavulin".

"Sorry."

"Laphroiag."

"Sorry."

"Ardbeg?"

"Sorry."

"Man, I am not doing too good."

"YOU need to come down a little bit on the shelf."

Cripes. It wasn't all that bad though, they had The MacAllan and it wasn't half bad.

Back
Top Bottom