Single malt Scotch (Islay) afficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie_Rohan:
I don’t as much drink Laphroaig as inhale it. Lagavulin is also a good drop but I've never tried any other Islay malts: any recommendations?
Ardbeg 17yo.

Spragg01:
Saddest story I have ever heard was of a friend of mine who came home to find his sister cooking with his Lagavulin 16. Near broke his heart.

I'll speak on behalf of Bowmore's Darkest. Not half-bad and a good mix of flavors that's almost half Islay, half Highland. If I were limited to two scotches for the rest of my life they would be the Lagavulin 16 for easy times and the Ardbeg 10 for the hard times.

Supernal: If you are getting into Scotches, a guide that I found useful is Michael Jackson's "Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch." Make sure you try a few from each region.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_1/002-5054449-3360040?_encoding=UTF8

I agree with the try. When my wife and I go out to dinner I will have whatever the bar has that I have not tried. If it's on sale and receives a good review then I might try a bottle. Otherwise, I tend to stick with Islay @ hame.

Supernal, find a close friend who enjoys Scotch and ask if you might try a wee dram.
Most of us greatly enjoy sharing our love of whisky.

Spragg01:
Saddest story I have ever heard was of a friend of mine who came home to find his sister cooking with his Lagavulin 16. Near broke his heart.

And I'll bet it was not being used for preparing the Haggis.

My current selection:
:devil: Laphroaig Quarter Cask
:) Dalwhinnie 15yo
:) Cragganmore 12yo
:) Johnny Walker Green Label
:gorgeous: Glayva (for the missus)

Just got a Macallan Cask Strength, not a bad gift. I normally go for Lagavulin or the cheaper Finlaggen. Off the Islay, I'd go for Glenmorangie Sherry wood finish.

El Orans:
Sorry, they're actually Danish... :D

Slap me silly...I knew that...fingers went faster than brain, thanks for the correction.

Spragg01:
What are the comparable failings of MJ vs. JM?

If you want the expert on beer...go to MJ, if you want the expert on Scotch, go with JM.

Green_Manelishi:
Supernal, find a close friend who enjoys Scotch and ask if you might try a wee dram.
Most of us greatly enjoy sharing our love of whisky.

None of my friends like Scotch.

I think I'll check out my local pub and see if it they have scotch tastings. I have no idea what I'd like.

Well being an American most of my "friends" (they never buy me scotch so who can trust em) everyone here mostly drinks bourbon and beer.

I learned the glory of "The Water of Life" from the father of an english gal. I do not have the exposure that is seen here but with those that I have dabbled in I enjoy the Glenmorangie ten year, 18 and various wood finishes.

However, for that "belt at the end of the day.." I confess to drinking a blended *******.... The famous grouse.... I know, I know.. he who would drink a blend would dive a sherwood brut...

I am guilty of that also.. I have one for my shore rig for getting all wet and sandy. Funny that is what I keep the Grouse for also.. (I live at the shore aka beach) Drink some grouse and meander down and watch the waves in the moonbeams...

I have tried and enjoyed some of the following: Glenmorangie, Bowmore, Dalwhinnie, Glenfiddich, GlenLivet, Macallan, and Oban.

Going to a drinkery here and you are very often to find only Dewars and Johnnie walker. Which have an odd taste of soapy water to me? Perhaps it is just that they do not rinse the glasses well there.

I heard that Glenmorangie has a 1974 that is as pleasureful as a tall, red haired, highland misstress... but I have never seen it here in the US.

Sadly that is my complete knowledge of Scotch.. but a few paragraphs.. perhaps everyone here could send me a nice June birtday present...

Supernal:
None of my friends like Scotch.

I think I'll check out my local pub and see if it they have scotch tastings. I have no idea what I'd like.

Dare I say it? Perhaps you need new friends :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom