Single malt Scotch (Islay) afficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be the third to agree.

Just cracked a new bottle of Auchentoshan 10 year tonight. (Lowland, an almost delicate malt, very nice).

Supernal:
None of my friends like Scotch.

I think I'll check out my local pub and see if it they have scotch tastings. I have no idea what I'd like.

There is a world of difference from one Scotch to the next. You have here heard people singing the praises of Laphroaig and Lagavulin. I love them myself, but when I am enjoying one of them, my wife can tell from more than a few feet away, and she asks me if I'm into the compost water again. She even says that if I'm drinking Talisker, which is nice and smoky but not like the other two.

In other words, it takes a while to get your taste buds ready for those. Don't go right to the divemaster brews--start with the OW's.

Blended Scotches are more popular than single malts for the same reason that Budweiser and Miller are more popular than good beers with more character. They are designed to appeal to the broadest possible market, so all character is filtered out. They blend a lot of different Scotches to get an agreed-upon, bland flavor.

In contrast, single malt Scotches are intended to retain the character of their malting and their aging. That especially includes the flavor of the peat smoke used in drying the malt. In aging, it depends upon what kind of barrel(s) was used to age the distilled beverage. Often, barrels originally used for aging sherry or port or bourbon are used, and you can tell the difference.

The most famous single malts, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, are technically single malts, but they have done their best to achieve the more universally popular flavors of the blended Scotches. True single malt lovers don't bother with them.

It might, however, be a good place for you to start. Then have someone guide you through some of the more flavorful beverages. Once you get the feel for the good ones, you can never go back.

Supernal:
None of my friends like Scotch.

I think I'll check out my local pub and see if it they have scotch tastings. I have no idea what I'd like.
Dalwhinnie 15yo is nice to start with.

Though blended, you'd probably like Johnny Walker Green or Blue Label...

El Orans:

I agree with this--Dalwhinnie is very smooth.

I have never had either of those JW's--my bank account shrinks in horror when I think about it.

El Orans:

Another one that is easy to find and good for starters is Balvenie.

boulderjohn:
I agree with this--Dalwhinnie is very smooth.

I have never had either of those JW's--my bank account shrinks in horror when I think about it.
The only reason I had a Blue Label was the Duty-Free shop at Changi Airport (approx $90)

If anyone has a bottle they'd like to sell, or knows of an available, please let me know.

Supernal: for Islay, start with Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhain. They are mild as Islays.
My wife's favorite Islay is Bunnahabhain.

JWR is the "Schlitz" of Scotches.

It's useful for cleaning paint brushes however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom