Single malt Scotch (Islay) afficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supernal:
I HATED Johnny Walker Red. It was the stuff I used to steal from parent's liquor cabinet. I'll probably try the milder ones suggest here.

It's all in the colors.

Umm, I don't understand the reference to milder, though.

Green_Manelishi:
If anyone has a bottle they'd like to sell, or knows of an available, please let me know.

Supernal: for Islay, start with Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhain. They are mild as Islays.
My wife's favorite Islay is Bunnahabhain.

I still have about 1/4 bottle left of a 1978 Port Ellen I bought a few years ago. I haven't dipped into it in awhile, but this thread caused me to pour a little glass of it. It is excellent - shame they aren't still making it.

If you're serious, I could see if the place I bought it from has any more. If you're ever in the bay area, feel free to stop by for a taste.

As for my all time favorite, I think it's Highland Park 25, though that can change from day to day. It isn't made on Islay, but it's in the spirit of those scotches.

And I think blended scotches have their place. I've got 3 in my scotch collection: Johnny gold (like it better than blue), chevas royal salute and compass box pete monster.

boulderjohn:
It's all in the colors.

Umm, I don't understand the reference to milder, though.

I don't see what color has to do with the Scotch. Ardbeg is a fairly light colored Scotch but it's a big taste.

Well, some might call it "smoother" but I prefer the term milder. Ardbeg is not, in my opinion, a mild taste when compared to Lagavulin. Ardbeg has a "bite" that Laguvulin does not.

D_O_H:
I still have about 1/4 bottle left of a 1978 Port Ellen I bought a few years ago. I haven't dipped into it in awhile, but this thread caused me to pour a little glass of it. It is excellent - shame they aren't still making it.

If you're serious, I could see if the place I bought it from has any more. If you're ever in the bay area, feel free to stop by for a taste.

I am serious. :D

Green_Manelishi:
I don't see what color has to do with the Scotch.
Red, Black, Green, Blue, etc.. Capice? :D

El Orans:
Red, Black, Green, Blue, etc.. Capice? :D

Oh .... duhhhhhh.

Are those Scotches really Red, Black, Green, Blue? I don't know 'cuz I don't drink them.

Green_Manelishi:
Oh .... duhhhhhh.

Are those Scotches really Red, Black, Green, Blue? I don't know 'cuz I don't drink them.
See for yourself...

El Orans:
See for yourself...

Ah. Thanks. Who is the happy looking person behind the bottle?

I also googled and read a bit about the various labels.

Back
Top Bottom