Small Diver - Low Volume Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I know, to some, this may not seem to be a problem, but I am a small female diver. Not tiny, just small and short. Any advice on purchasing a low volume mask for a small face? (My favorite sunglasses are ones I purchased from the Mary Kate and Ashley rack, and I'm nearly twice their age!) Our LDS doesn't stock any inventory - only takes and places orders.

On that same note, how do you purchase booties? I've read that they're sized in men's sizes, and to subtract two sizes from ladies' size to arrive at men's size. What about half sizes? Is it better to go up or down? I normally wear a 6.5 ladies shoe. Should I buy a 4 or a 5 bootie?

Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate any advice!

Scubapro makes a frameless mask that seems to fit well on small faces. Your best bet is just find a LDS and start trying on masks. Same with the booties.

new wv diver:
I know, to some, this may not seem to be a problem, but I am a small female diver. Not tiny, just small and short. Any advice on purchasing a low volume mask for a small face? (My favorite sunglasses are ones I purchased from the Mary Kate and Ashley rack, and I'm nearly twice their age!) Our LDS doesn't stock any inventory - only takes and places orders.

On that same note, how do you purchase booties? I've read that they're sized in men's sizes, and to subtract two sizes from ladies' size to arrive at men's size. What about half sizes? Is it better to go up or down? I normally wear a 6.5 ladies shoe. Should I buy a 4 or a 5 bootie?

Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate any advice!

There have been questions/answers to both your subjects in the past. You might do a search on "small face" or "small mask" as there were a couple of makers that had masks for small faces.

You really need to try on booties, as, like shoes, the same size is not always the same. I've seen both mens and womans sizes.

MD

I sound about your size........

My ladies' sneakers range (depending on manufacturer) between "size 5" and "size 6". My scuba booties are labeled "size 4/5" (not joking).

As for going up or down a size - depends on the fit. There's no substitute for trying on diving items. About neoprene however - if you try it on and it's comfortable, go with a size smaller. Neoprene gets thinner underwater, but that's NOT the same as shrinking, and you want to have it hug you as closely as possible (without losing circulation to the limbs of course). This goes for boots too.

As for masks....... it took me a couple of months of trying on literally every low-volume mask in the dive shops before I finally found one that would do a decent job of fitting me. I knew I had found the right one for me when I could continue talking while it stuck to my face without using the strap.

Masks are very individual... what works for me will probably not work for you and vice versa. However as a starting point I was advised that Tusa masks tend to run slightly smaller than other brands; the "perfect" mask for me happened to be an Apollo.

new wv diver, that's a very good idea. both these items,
particularly the mask, are fit-critical. you really need to try
that mask on to see how it fits.

btw, one easy test is to tilt your head back, put the mask
over your face (don't use the strap), lightly inhale, and then
lower your face to the normal "look forward" position.

if the mask holds its air-seal, chances are you have a good
fit. after that, try it on for comfort.

good luck!

new wv diver:
I know, to some, this may not seem to be a problem, but I am a small female diver. Not tiny, just small and short. Any advice on purchasing a low volume mask for a small face?
Hi there! My wife has a similar issue, along with a narrow face. We tried kids masks, but they were uncomfortable. We finally bought her an Ocean Master lv mask with their 'Q-strap' setup, and it works GREAT!. We purchased online at a reasonable price, and they have a generous return policy if it doesn't work out for you. Either IM or email me and I'll give you the details (where we purchased and the exact model number.

Back
Top Bottom