smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading all 13 pages of posts, I have to wonder why there are so many folks that are so willing to forgo politeness?

Why are so many smokers willing to forgo politeness and light up near us?

My post doesn't apply to cigar smokers but is spot on as far as cigarette smokers go.

I see this is still going on; just curious about how many would have handled growing up when I did:
Smoking was seen as sophisticated, many of us had parents that smoked.
There were no non-smoking areas, eating establishments had a haze over them
Doctors told people smoking was good for them, it calmed the nerves
Smoking was allowed everywhere, many teachers smoked in their classrooms
Many high schools had student smoking lounges or areas
When we went into the service the smokers got a break, we would run for a while then take a break "smoke 'em if you got 'em" if you did not smoke you were given something to do, so it was a good idea to start smoking
Cigarettes were cheap no sin taxes
I read an interesting study that linked risk aversion and smoking; smokers are less risk averse than the general population, diving was a risky business, most divers smoked
Cousteau and his crew smoked enough cigarettes to give lung cancer to China
The Smoking Police did not exist
There were fewer asthmatics and chronic respiratory ailments among the general population, now it seems every third person has asthma, chronic respiratory issues or extreme sensitivity to smoke, perfume, and so on

How would people live today if these things were as true today as they were in the 60s and 70s?

I see this is still going on; just curious about how many would have handled growing up when I did:
Smoking was seen as sophisticated, many of us had parents that smoked........

sorry - you lost me here........

my memories of my dad while growing up was a lifetime of illnesses & hospital visits due to smoking.

my last memory of my father is watching him with emphysema, unable to breath and just looking at me as he struggled with each breath as he died in front of me

i have no problem if a person chooses to smoke but i will not stand passively while they expect me to take in their 2nd hand smoke.

How do you know all of your fathers illnesses and hospital visits were caused by smoking?
My memories of my dad while growing up are of a strong man who took good care of his family-and he smoked(s) like a chimmney and is still going strong at 69 years.

My last memory of my Grandmother is watching her grasping for breath as she passed away-she never smoked. Thats how it is when you die of old age, happens to everyone that makes it that long.

My Grandfather died of Emphysema and never smoked in his life.

Your point was?

How do you know all of your fathers illnesses and hospital visits were caused by smoking?
My memories of my dad while growing up are of a strong man who took good care of his family-and he smoked(s) like a chimmney and is still going strong at 69 years.

My last memory of my Grandmother is watching her grasping for breath as she passed away-she never smoked. Thats how it is when you die of old age, happens to everyone that makes it that long.

My Grandfather died of Emphysema and never smoked in his life.

Your point was?

You are no doubt correct. Those two anecdotes disprove mountains of evidence to the contrary. Here all along people thought smoking was bad for you, but you have definitively proven that it is instead good for you. I mean, if you know a smoker who did fine and a non-smoker who died, then I guess that's that.

.........Your point was?

like politics, smoking is too sensitive an issue for us to agree.... i just do not believe that any person can honestly believe that smoking is doing good for you.

i def dont agree that the smokers in my office should be forced to stand outside in the elements by the garbage bins to have their fixed but im sure as heck grateful that our country enforced smoke free workplaces (and malls/restaurants) back in the 80's.

Back
Top Bottom