smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never said smoking was good for you, you did.
I would love to see your "mountains of evidence" that prove

- when a smoker is sick it is always because of smoking, that being the case I guess non smokers never get sick correct?

-when people die of old age they only gasp for breath if they were smokers?

-only smokers get emphysema?

these are the things I said

please share!

like politics, smoking is too sensitive an issue for us to agree.... i just do not believe that any person can honestly believe that smoking is doing good for you.

i def dont agree that the smokers in my office should be forced to stand outside in the elements by the garbage bins to have their fixed but im sure as heck grateful that our country enforced smoke free workplaces (and malls/restaurants) back in the 80's.

Yes and we have pretty much granted you the indoor world as non smoking places, however we are talking about the OUTDOOR open air dive boat enviroment here.

Yes I can always agree to disagree!

Yes and we have pretty much granted you the indoor world as non smoking places, however we are talking about the OUTDOOR open air dive boat enviroment here.

Yes I can always agree to disagree!

but isnt a boat a confined space?

true it has exit points and might not be an enclosed environment but its still have a limited amount of space available and that space MUST be shared with everyone else there

if one person chooses to light up (and im fainting at the thought someone would light up a cigar), unless they are downwind are they not forcing their own deadly choices (and yes i say deadly, too much proof out there that smoking kills/harms) onto others that choose not to smoke??

and :hugs: we only kicking sand aboot here

Yes just a lively debate-which I enjoy.

I dont think there is anything scientific that shows second hand smoke outdoors is a threat to your health(if there is please enlighten me).

So I think that leaves is debating something that you find annoying, and if you have a right to dictate another persons behavior because something annoys you.

I may find someones perfume/cologne or body odor annoying but does it give me a right to demand they wash it off/take a bath?????? especially outdoors.

So I think that leaves is debating something that you find annoying, and if you have a right to dictate another persons behavior because something annoys you.............

ahhhhhhhhh - but when a smoker lights up near me, isnt that person dictating to me that i should be accepting of their behaviour but if i ask them to stop or move then im the rude person??

I never said smoking was good for you, you did.
I would love to see your "mountains of evidence" that prove

- when a smoker is sick it is always because of smoking, that being the case I guess non smokers never get sick correct?

-when people die of old age they only gasp for breath if they were smokers?

-only smokers get emphysema?

these are the things I said

please share!

There are numerous studies on smoking and workplace productivity, here's just one - Smokers Less Productive than Nonsmokers Survey Finds

You can't blame all illness on smoking, but study after study shows that smokers take sick days more frequently than non-smokers. Either there is some link between smoking and illness, or perhaps a link between smoking and playing hookey?

ahhhhhhhhh - but when a smoker lights up near me, isnt that person dictating to me that i should be accepting of their behaviour but if i ask them to stop or move then im the rude person??

I think that is the basic concept we are discussing here, a persons right to do what they want as long as it isnt harmful to others.

I would say no there is nothing wrong with asking them, or with thier option to honor or not your request.

If I am asked politely I will attempt to accomdate the asker, but I dont know if that would include dousing it if I was outdoors.

I think that is the basic concept we are discussing here, a persons right to do what they want as long as it isnt harmful to others.

I would say no there is nothing wrong with asking them, or with thier option to honor or not your request.

If I am asked politely I will attempt to accomdate the asker, but I dont know if that would include dousing it if I was outdoors.

What about annoying to others?

How about I let off stink bombs near you to all the time?
How about I play loud music near you?
How about I flick the air 1 inch from your ear constantly?
How about I snort and grunt disguntingly in front of you?

None of these will harm you health and all are intensely annoying.

sorry - you lost me here........

my memories of my dad while growing up was a lifetime of illnesses & hospital visits due to smoking.

my last memory of my father is watching him with emphysema, unable to breath and just looking at me as he struggled with each breath as he died in front of me

i have no problem if a person chooses to smoke but i will not stand passively while they expect me to take in their 2nd hand smoke.
My dad smokes like a chimney ... has done so for nearly 70 years. He didn't get lung cancer.

Mom did, though ... she didn't smoke ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What about annoying to others?

How about I let off stink bombs near you to all the time?
How about I play loud music near you?
How about I flick the air 1 inch from your ear constantly?
How about I snort and grunt disguntingly in front of you?

None of these will harm you health and all are intensely annoying.

Yes this is what I said, generally you dont have a right to dicatate what someone does or does not do because you find it to be annoying.

Depends on the enviroment, just like smoking on a dive boat.

Is it appropriate on a packed dive boat where there are many non smokers in a close proximity and the air is curling off the back of the boat and right back onto the crowd?-likely not.

Is it appropriate on a spacious boat with a few divers where I can get away from the crowd and watch my smoke blow off behind the boat?-likely yes

Like anything else you have to use your head and gauge the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom