Snorkeling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Impressive!

Thanks eveyone for nice comments. I just got back from a two-week snorkeling trip to Curacao, so hopefully I will post some more photos soon.

Wow, those are indeed some fabulous photos? All taken while breath holding/snorkeling?

I've only used my setup 3x so far. I have a Sony DSC-W300 w/housing. I've gotten about 12-15 great photos out of the 400 I took on my trip so the learning curve is obviously pretty steep and of course it's all about your position too.

Nice work.

Yes, all the photos were taken while snorkeling. I don't scuba dive. In general, I think most people find that taking uw photos while snorkeling is difficult. One fellow I have conversed with in Australia was a pretty good snorkeling photographer. He later took up scuba, and he told me he was amazed how much easier it was to take photos with scuba. Of course, all uw photography is not that easy, and many people get discouraged when they first start. If you got 12-15 great photos, that is really good and you should be proud. That ratio of good photos vs. total photos taken is about the same as I get. One advantage you do have with snorkeling vs. scuba is that you can spend a lot longer in the water taking pictures. Also, ambient light can make things easier sometimes because you don't have to learn how to use a strobe and you can capture a more natural scene.

My pics are not the quality of yours, Dave, but I enjoy snorkeling with the camera, just as much as I enjoy diving. The photos shot in shallow water certainly have a different quality of light, and I can spend a LOT more time in the water when I am snorkeling, than diving!

St_John_s_snorkel_10_034.jpg

St_John_s_snorkel_10_036.jpg

St_John_s_snorkel_10_0361.jpg

St_John_s_snorkel_10_001.jpg

St_John_s_snorkel_10_015.jpg

St_John_s_snorkel_10_026.jpg

As I said they are not up to yours in quality, but I still like to see them, and remember...... While I am sitting here in the cold, a long way from St John, and any ocean snorkeling or diving.

Wonderful photos everyone! I've got a loooong way to go. Dave I'd be interested in a housing that I could use both for skin and scuba that would fit your new cannon do you have any suggestions?

Those are very impressive photos. How often are you using the in-camera flash? Also, what kind of weight belt are you using? Does it function to give you "neutral" bouyancy? How deep do you go when you free dive?

I'm heading to St. John in about two weeks with my Panasonic DMC-TZ5 and a Panasonic housing for it along with an Intova strobe. After seeing these shots I may have just wasted $169 on the strobe!

I seldom bother with my strobe. Even diving, as I enjoy keeping the camera small and more easily carried on all dives. With the strobe it always beomes a dive that has to focus on the camera, simply due to it's size and bulk.

This really encourages me. I have quit Scuba for health reasons. But from some of these beautiful Photos from Snorkeling. I will spend more time snorkeling now. Thanks for sharing all your photos.

Those are very impressive photos. How often are you using the in-camera flash? Also, what kind of weight belt are you using? Does it function to give you "neutral" bouyancy? How deep do you go when you free dive?

I'm heading to St. John in about two weeks with my Panasonic DMC-TZ5 and a Panasonic housing for it along with an Intova strobe. After seeing these shots I may have just wasted $169 on the strobe!

In shallow water I seldom need to use on board flash. Light in the shallows is perfect, ususally.

My wrist computer oftens logs my snorkel dives as "dives" in the 12 to 20 ft range, and all are just free dives in just mask fins snorkel. No weight needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom