So Terrified Of Crotch Strap!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Testicles or crotch strap?

:11:

At this point in my life, both.

I completely disagree, as many have said here, if properly adjusted you won't even know it's there. The one time I forgot to connect mine I could immediately tell the difference because my BP/W was much less stable than usual, especially on the surface. I fought the crotch strop idea too initially, now I'm very glad I got talked into it.

I made my own BP. When I first dove it, I used a crotch strap and had no problem with comfort but it was an extra step in donning and doffing. So I tried it without and found no difference in stability UW and the little bit that it road up on the surface just didn't matter. It was easily controlled by rolling over on my back if I was going to spend any time waiting on the surface, or pulling down a little on bottoms of my shoulder straps.

It might be that my BP has no channel so the single tank sits a little closer than conventional plates. But it is probably that I wear the plate fairy high and my waist strap snug and have enough extra gut to keep the strap from riding up. In my case, the crouch strap had no effect on stability during a dive. The rig stays rock solid unless I release the waist strap (which I have to do to reach my valve). YMMV

I found mine to be entirely unnecessary. Give it a try without one.

So who else does not use one? Half the time I forget to latch it the other half I forget to unlatch it.I just changed some D rings and was considering leaving it off

After reading a lot of posts I finally decided Id got for BP/Wing set up. The only problem is that I am not used to having a crotch strap between my legs tickling / squashing my balls when I am diving. My fear is that if I do a sudden stop under water the tank is going to shift forward and I will be using my precious, non-replacable testicles to stop a 45 pound tank from sliding off my back!!! :no

Is this "CROTCH-STAPOPHOBIA" justified?

No, it's a non issue. Getting your harness adjusted properly will be more bothersome than a crotchstrap. :palmtree: Bob

Was also concerned about being in vertical feet up and heads down position which I use a lot. ... Has anyone tried this position with the crotch strap?
Yes, with double steel 120s. No issues at all.

I suspect you'll never be a skydiver. At least, not a careless one.

Skydiving with a scuba style crotch strap would be very painful. For scuba, I find it essential. I had a DM in Thailand comment that it looked painful. I just looked at him like he was crazy. Before that it hadn't occured to me that anyone would think this. It's not nearly as snug as the speedos that most men wear under their wetsuit.

I'm thinking of getting a c/s for my Oceanic Chute 3. It rides up a bit sometimes on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom