So THAT's what a drysuit should be!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're lucky you can dive wet. I don't think there's any degree of dive deprivation that would make me get in Puget Sound in a wetsuit at any time of year. Although I shouldn't say that, because there might be . . .

I've dove the 450 myself and to be honest, IMO it's the only DUI drysuit worth buying. I really liked it, however it requires a dryhood to be usable. IMO dryhood and drygloves are a hallmark of diving dry, without that you may as well dive wet. So, buy a very good hood to go with it and you'll do yourself proud. Don't skimp there, get the best.

cummings66:
I've dove the 450 myself and to be honest, IMO it's the only DUI drysuit worth buying. I really liked it, however it requires a dryhood to be usable. IMO dryhood and drygloves are a hallmark of diving dry, without that you may as well dive wet. So, buy a very good hood to go with it and you'll do yourself proud. Don't skimp there, get the best.
I've been diving dry with wet hands and a wet head for 6 months no problem, so I should be fine. :) I may go to dry gloves at some point (the DC rings look pretty nice), but with the temps we get in SoCal, it's not really severe enough to require a dry hood.

Glad to join the proud ranks of 450 wearers, though!

TSandM:
Trimming neck seals isn't all that easy, is it? I haven't yet found a really satisfactory way of doing it, but I don't have a razor sharp rotary cutter, either.

Sharp scissors work fine for me.. Just follow the line on the seal all the way around.. I've been trimming my own seals for a while now, no problems...

cummings66:
IMO dryhood and drygloves are a hallmark of diving dry, without that you may as well dive wet.

I think there are a lot of people who would disagree with that statement... Like Snorkledude (grin, sorry- couldnt resist) mentioned, our waters (52F-60F) aren't so severe that we absolutely NEED dryhood and gloves.. I'm perfectly happy with 5mm gloves & hood in winter (and none in summer)~ as long as my core stays nice & dry-- hence the drysuit :D

And congrats on the new suit CompuDude :)

Congrats. You can turn that handled white Pizza box into casheesh.

I sold my box for $37 plus freight on eBay. I sold Jaye's (no stickers) for over $40 I believe... Tossed in the manuals, that talc pillow and the sticker.

eBay so rules.

---
Ken

TSandM:
Well, congratulations on your acquisition!

Trimming neck seals isn't all that easy, is it? I haven't yet found a really satisfactory way of doing it, but I don't have a razor sharp rotary cutter, either.

A piece of advice: Do NOT sell off the old suit unless you financially absolutely have to. Remember NW Grateful Diver's adage -- All dry suits become wet suits, and then you get them fixed. Having a backup suit is a wonderful luxury!

New Exacto Blade

Small Steel Sauce Pan

Talc the pan and the seal, stretch over the pan, rotate slowly, pushing very hard. Bright desk lamp, avoid shadows... no brainer. I can now trim one into 1/3 ring increments.

When you're here, I'll pull out the official Neck Seal Pan... you'll crack up. There are lines scored all across it.

Wrist seals are scissor affairs requiring two people for the perfect seal cut.

Now that I've tasted the Neo Neck, the Latex Necks are positively barbarian.

---
Ken

CompuDude:
I've been diving dry with wet hands and a wet head for 6 months no problem, so I should be fine. :) I may go to dry gloves at some point (the DC rings look pretty nice), but with the temps we get in SoCal, it's not really severe enough to require a dry hood.

Glad to join the proud ranks of 450 wearers, though!

I have the DC gloves on my CNSE and they are great gloves. Just maintain your composure while installing them...if you catch my drift

MissyP:
I think there are a lot of people who would disagree with that statement... Like Snorkledude (grin, sorry- couldnt resist) mentioned, our waters (52F-60F) aren't so severe that we absolutely NEED dryhood and gloves..

Yes, those temps are pretty nice and definitely not what I had assumed you guys had. I'd heard over and over that the waters are cold there, but to me that's pretty warm. We typically get cooler than that, last weekend for example in a lake we had 40 degree temps, the quarry the week before was 37 degrees and to me that's getting cold. Drysuits with hood and gloves make those dives fun. Last weekend was the first weekend in a year that I've dove a drysuit without a dryhood and it took me a bit to realize what was bugging me, I got water in my ear and I'm not used to that feeling. I still enjoyed the dive however.

One benefit to dryhoods that's not related to temps that I like is the fact that water does not get into my ears, my hair is dry when I get out and I never run a risk of getting an ear infection. Our waters can get nasty at times. Dryhoods are not a necessity of course, but they are nice.

For me I would never consider a drysuit without a dryhood due to it's many benefits, and the 450 can be had with one. I know because I've priced them that way. As I said, the Clx450 is a great drysuit and IMO the only DUI suit I'd choose. He made an excellent choice and I'm envious.

I'm not going to champion dryhoods more than what I have beyond summerizing what I've said, there's more benefit to dryhoods than merely keeping your head warmer. That's why I believe a drysuit must have a dryhood to be complete.

Back
Top Bottom