So what is wrong with Oceanic regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too received the recall, since i am an owner of an Oceanic reg. This is a voluntary recall though. This is not an ordered recall for safety reasons. The recall indicated why the reg had failed, but that they do not know why this did happen as of yet. The recall did not mention any instances of 'dangerous consequences', but did mention that there was a possibility. So I take that as no, no one had died yet, but a problem has been detected and they want to correct it. I prefer that a company contacts me personally to tell em this. I think that is great customer service. heck, my reg is 7 years old and they are informing me of this just in case I have purchased a new reg lately and not registered it yet. As fo the regs being fine regs, I cannot attest to the more recent reg, but I can say with certainty that the regs I am diving now are superb. They are tuned perfectly for my style of diving and I have never had a wet breath out of one. Many of us here are diving them and I have never heard a complaint yet. So are your observations from experience Pescador775? If so I would like to hear more about them. Thanks.

I've never used Oceanic. They look well made but who knows? When you read a cryptic warning and voluntary recall there is room for doubt about the company's integrity. Do you honestly expect them to admit diver accidents, especially fatal, when they won't even admit that they know what is wrongd? It's called covering your butt.

Well if an accident happened, it would be a mandatory recall, not a voluntary. The government would enforce that one. As for cryptic, it was not in my mind. Maybe they just do not know why some of the regs are failing and others not. Maybe a casting problem. If we want to speculate...maybe George W is Sadam's son and there is an oedipus problem occuring. Who knows. Sometimes a spade is just a spade.

I have 4 Delta II balanced pistons and they are great. I've used them to 200 ft and they performed quite well. When I decide to get a couple more regs I got Apeks because of the good things I heard about them. Got 2 Apeks TX 50/ DS4 and they are a bit nicer than the Oceanics but most wouldn't notice. Overseas price was a bit better than Oceanics.

Now use the Apeks on my backgas and the Oceanics as deco regs and my single tank set up.

Dave D

i dive a gamma 2 w/ a dx4 1st stage. i've had it for 1 year and it has performed great. it is very light and almost all oceanic 1st stages are sealed right out of the box , good for cold , mucky water . there is a recall for cdx5 1st stages for some type of vibration . i think it may be certain serial no.s but i'm not sure.

My Omega is going on 20 years or whatever and the thing just breathes like a dream and has never given me any problems whatsoever....

I dive closed circuit rebreathers now but now and then I do open circuit withthe Omega.

Well you could look at it this way. It took quite a few deaths before the Government made Firestone start recalling their tires.

I am definately interested if someone can offer me physical evidence, and not heresay on this matter. We all know the scuba folklore out there, but lets cut the crap. Does anyone have any proof to what they are saying or are you just saying it? If you do, please forward copies of it to me as I am interested in reading the reports. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom