SoCal Dive Extravaganza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurfDog, I went to the Wrinkles dive for the first time two months ago and had a blast. I did'nt know anyone, yet, I felt right at home. I'll be at the next one, hope to see you there.

Kevin,

I just started this new thread for diving on Memorial Day Weekend, so maybe you can meet some of us this weekend! I linked it in this paragraph, so you don't have to hunt it down.

Christian

jetfixer:
Any shore diving worthwhile there? The resort looks awesome!

I have always used the services of the pangas. I mean, why miss the excitement of being pushed into the water by a pickup truck, and then the whole backroll thing?? Ask Ana, she loved it :wink: !! But if there is good shore diving I would be up for that if there was an appropriate entry/exit point...

jennifer

stoddu:
Hey Jim,
Are we ever going to get you back into the cold, limited vis. water in Laguna Beach?

Steve

Yes, this weekend. Got Monday off too.

sapphire:
I have always used the services of the pangas. I mean, why miss the excitement of being pushed into the water by a pickup truck, and then the whole backroll thing?? Ask Ana, she loved it :wink: !! But if there is good shore diving I would be up for that if there was an appropriate entry/exit point...

jennifer

Check out my posting ealier...this resort is a great place to do shore diving as the reef is so close...
cheers...

mccabejc:
I was thinking of a week long vacation type of thing. And something more, uh, tropical I guess. And less chance for big surf and poor diving conditions. And less driving involved (what is Monterey, like 5 or 6 hours from here?). Hell, with the cost of gas for a drive up and back is probably the same as airfare to Hawaii.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating. RT flights to Hawaii are probably less than $500.

Anyway, Kona has a lot of nearby and easy shore diving sites, direct flight from LA, we could double up on hotel rooms/condos, share a car, etc., and probably bring the cost per person down to not much more than just airfare. And Kona has lots of turtles. And MANTA RAYS !!! And bright colored fishies. And warm water !!!!

I was in Kona for a week last October. The Manta dives were AWESOME!!! However, I got bored after the third day of diving...same ol' coral, same fish, pretty much the same structures.

Airfare is not cheap. Don't forget all of the taxes, gasoline tax, ect, ect, ect. I paid almost $600 after all of that.

If I go back to Kona, it will be on the Aggressor. I would be up to checking out the other Islands such as Maui or Lanai. I hear the Pinnacles at Lanai are wonderful!

Sounds like fun. But the budget it tight and the wife hates hot weather and would be bored, and she sure is not going to let me go alone.

Now Monterey, that I could do. Great diving up there and a beautiful aquarium too. The dive up the coast is very nice. To dive Monetary beach, and survive, that would be neat. I have dove there a few times, and had fun every time.

Cabo Pulmo is cool. Diving is excellent, town is quaint. Its very remote. Is laid back to the point of inert. I would become a serial killer if I had to stay there for a week.

The Panga launch on the pebbly beach is always fun (wear your scuba booties...) and the drift diving is cool. But after 10 minutes into a 50 minute dive, you start seeing the same types of fish over and over... its nice and colorful, but just not real exciting.

Staying at the Ranch, or at Punta Colorada, or one of the other fishing spots and commuting to CP for diving for a couple of days is a better idea. If you're on the Sea of Cortez you have to be fishing, too - not just diving. Its a good dive spot, but its a world class fishery. The Kayak fishing there just rules.

I'm wif Mel on this one. A long weekend in Monterey is great. Excellent restaurants, great wine, supurb diving. Mixing in some refinement into a long weekend is nice. I'd like that much more than a week in CP. We go for a long weekend each November - its always excellent.

---
Ken

No one interested in the Red Sea, Tanzania, Mozambique, or (switching continents) Galapagos, Fernando de Noronha, Abrolhas, Los Roques...

Dr. Bill

scubainspired:
SurfDog, I went to the Wrinkles dive for the first time two months ago and had a blast. I did'nt know anyone, yet, I felt right at home. I'll be at the next one, hope to see you there.
Hey there, scubainspired Thomas! Just like you, I also attended the April Wrinkles dive and had a wonderful time diving with new friends...such as you!!:D Hope you've had fun diving since, and I'll look forward to diving with you again at a future event...maybe July... (gonna miss the June Wrinkles..:frown: )
Hope you've had lots better viz, too!!
Happy diving,
Claudette

Back
Top Bottom