Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say the only thing that surprised me is that they have linked solo to taking their course.

Eric and I have been diving with DFB since 2012 and initially got a bit of the evil eye for solo diving at the Hamlet location. This was before we got solo certified. Since then they just seem to be resigned to it since it never stopped us even before the certification. My one and only boat dive with them was last spring and even with solo, ad nitrox and cave intro certs they would not let me dive solo. Fortunately there was another solo diver that "buddied" with me. I honestly got the impression that they didn't care what I actually did as long as they had a buddy listed on the dive roster.

As I recall we were also admonished not to go beyond a certain depth, time limited and follow the leader. Reminded why I shore dive Bonaire

Last edited:
I wonder if this is driven by somebody's insurance provider?

Yes, just talked with my friend and it's a insurance issue ... The other thing is as Bonaire has gotten bigger... More crap is sure to follow... The rules are flowing... If you're lucky and know how to work around stuff, Things should stay the same for us old farts..

Jim...

Yes, just talked with my friend and it's a insurance issue ... The other thing is as Bonaire has gotten bigger... More crap is sure to follow... The rules are flowing... If you're lucky and know how to work around stuff, Things should stay the same for us old farts..

Jim...

Please check with your buddy on the specific nature of the insurance issue. I not not believe any insurer would specify "no solo diving" but I would believe they might specify that the dive op only permit diving within diver certification limits. The difference is major.

Of course, there is also the issue of who is the DM's buddy!!!!

Please check with your buddy on the specific nature of the insurance issue. I not not believe any insurer would specify "no solo diving" but I would believe they might specify that the dive op only permit diving within diver certification limits. The difference is major.

Of course, there is also the issue of who is the DM's buddy!!!!

It is diver must dive within their certification...

Jim...

And the requirement for Rescue cert??

That must be a office mistake I would guess, The web site has AOW listed

JIM

That must be a office mistake I would guess, The web site has AOW listed

JIM

Even that is a bit off. The prerequisite for solo cert for SDI, and I believe PADI, is ADV or equivalent. I did mine after about 500 dives based on equivalent. That is enough to make me shop elsewhere just to avoid the stupidness. Somebody else gets my $$$ because....

I did SDI Solo after 750 dives to make solo diving with operators who don't know me easier. It has been very successful. We'll see about the Rescue cert that was mentioned above

I like breaking rules... I'm going to be diving like always next month well spending the first 3 weeks alone , Till the wife shows up for the last 2 weeks... Night, Solo, lionfish hunting in a wreck. at 140' on air....

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom