Solo shore diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No flames from me. I think the Coz shore dives are underrated. I have done em from Blue Angel. Hotel Coz, SCC and Villablanca. Max depth is around 25 feet? I especially like the night dives.

Perhaps you can hire a DM to go with you for a reasonable rate from one of the shops. Or find a bud. A DM would be money well spent and make for enjoyable/comfortable dives for you.

I think you need more experience before going solo.

Excluding those shore dives from a man-made access (everything from a nice staircase with hand-rails to carpeted concrete steps), natural entry shore dives do need experience to evaluate risk level.
Before getting back into scuba I did many years of solo snorkeling and even without the heavy equipment there were many times when exit conditions were completely different from entry conditions.
I remember one particular swim in the Canaries where entry was really easy, calm water from a nice sandy beach and then swimming out over more than 1km of rocks with fire coral. 1 1/2 hours later coming back, the sea level had dropped leaving only about 20-30cm of water average but with wind & waves so you couldn't swim and the water was just too deep and agitated for you to make out the shapes of the rocks and see the pieces of coral. Even without equipment I took well over one hour to get back to the beach and arrived absolutely exhausted.
If I'd had equipment I probably wouldn't have made it out without a buddy. When there are 2 of you, you can stabilize each other moving alternately.
That one marked me and even today dive buddies often ask me why I insist on checking the state of the tide - I really want to know how much water we're going to have when we get back and imagine what the exit will look like.

Except for the obviously easy entries, I consider a buddy on a shore dive far more important than on a boat dive. A couple of weeks ago we were in Bonaire and while many of the entries are easy, even young and fit divers needed a stabilizing hand at the trickier ones and at the end the week I think there wasn't anyone in our group that didn't have bruises and cuts, even wearing full neoprene.

nashwl, the fact that you are willing to post your questions and are open to advice is very good. For you at this time everything is new. New experiences, unfamiliar equipment, and new skills. You have the opportunity to establish a solid and safe base in which to build your diving skills on. As my Cozumel Divemaster, Pedro Pablo of Blue XT Sea Diving has said for the past 11 years "Take it slow, take it very very slow." So with that in mind, I recommend and agree with the other posts to hold on solo diving and perhaps explore doing so after you have experience and the proper instruction. When will this happen ? The day may never come. You may find that solo diving is not for you. But at least you have the time and experience to base your decision on.

The same applies to night diving. As I know I do not have an interest in solo diving, I do know I enjoy night diving very much. After I was comfortable with my basic skills and equipment I was confident that I was ready for my first night dive. Again, Pedro's advice to "Take it slow" applied.

nashwl, Best Wishes to you as you discover the wonderful world of diving. Take it slow and enjoy every moment.

Sue

If you are staying at a resort with shore diving, you are probably going to see other divers who are taking advantage of the opportunity. Divers, as a group, are very friendly; ask to tag along. It's more fun to dive with a buddy, unless he's a photographer! :)

Very good advice for those above.
I really enjoy solo diving from Villablanca to Blue Angel, and go out every afternoon/evenings.
I can spend hours (great BT on shore dives) with my giant magnifier just studying different critters or taking a hawaiian sling and nabbing a few lionfish.
Lots of nice little coral heads and critters, especially around the sting ray prison next to the blue angel.
Depth is 15-18' and most boats stay further offshore and are docked up by late afternoon.
That being said, with your number of dives/experience you should definately ask around for a buddy to go with you.
I always make myself available to go out with anyone who wants to do a checkout dive or just needs a buddy.
Great for skills practice of all sorts.
So, bottomline is ask around papahogs or villablanca and I'm sure you will find someone to buddy with, or take a walk up to the blue angel and ask around there.
Have fun and enjoy COZ.

Last edited:
NO.... DON'T DO IT.... YOU WILL SURELY DIE..... :no:

OK, I got the standard internet warning out of the way..... I started diving 40yrs ago... SOLO... First dive was solo.... Your not looking to dive 100+ on a wreck, You want to play around in 20' ft of water 50'ft from shore.... This is not rocket science... If you left the tank and asked to snorkel no one say anything about it... And that's what you will be doing more or less.... You should read John Chatterton's Blog about being a self reliance diver...

Before the "Nanny State" of life started, solo was no big deal and almost every diver did it.... Now if you don't have a C-card and a specialty course you're gonna die.... I'm sure they will come out with a "FIN" specialty course soon.. You know how many different fins that are on the market... You need to be trained on their use...

Take it slow and use your head... If that little voice inside starts talking.... LISTEN.... :wink: OH... And have fun....:)

Jim....

If you left the tank and asked to snorkel no one say anything about it... And that's what you will be doing more or less....
Jim....
I actually wonder if this is true among the posters on this board. Other than embolism or a buoyancy problem popping you up under a boat (both of which could occur with or without a buddy), shore diving in Cozumel is not much different from snorkeling--most dangers are the same. If solo snorkeling is okay, why not a 15 foot dive in the same area? That said, diving is usually more fun with a buddy.

``What evidence do you have that it's uncommon for large numbers of people to do dumb things?''

Seeing the number of people on this thread alone who have done it, not counting the number of post on this forum and this entire site who have also said they have done it. Hence why I was asking how dumb or undumb :)shocked2:) it is to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom