Someone has been feeding this nurse shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do not feed trunkfish if this issue if valid. Can you imagine having a triangular fish with prominent round mouth coming up to a diver and blowing on them to get cheese whiz? Oh the humanity.

On my last 2 trips I've had a large Morey approach me out in the open & I also agree that feeding both the sharks & eels will lead to problems. Had I been a rookie diver when that shark swam up under me I just may have had a panic attack & I think we're seeing lots of proof DM's need to inform divers that they may indeed come face to face with things which may scare them right out of the water. As for the days before the marine park YES feeding was very common & drew a crowd but that didn't make it wise.

Please do not feed trunkfish if this issue if valid. Can you imagine having a triangular fish with prominent round mouth coming up to a diver and blowing on them to get cheese whiz? Oh the humanity.

too funny. I found a juvenile trunk fish on Santa Rosa last Wednesday, funny looking spotted ball just bobbing around.

have taken to trying to feed mine to lobsters. Just until I hear of lobster attacks. Then anemones.....

I don't think they should be fed to anything, regardless of whether they are a species unable to attack, annoy or frighten you, no matter how much fun you have doing so or how much it entertains the tourists. Kill them and drop them (unless you plan to eat them yourself).Nature will run its course from there.

Yes, I am certain that is the case. Same behaviour from some of the green morays as well.

Well the whole world's getting ready to fall apart......lol......

No different that all the fish circa 1980's thru 90's getting 'used to' the sound of velcro from the 'newer' BC's making it to the Caribbean...

I don't think they should be fed to anything, regardless of whether they are a species unable to attack, annoy or frighten you, no matter how much fun you have doing so or how much it entertains the tourists. Kill them and drop them (unless you plan to eat them yourself).Nature will run its course from there.

Do you think that is better than the lobster? So I drop them and a moray comes by and eats its it and then comes after me for more? I think dropping them wont necessarily disassociate divers and food, I just prevents you from SEEING the result. Besides, have you ever seen a lobster eat one? Its like an Alien remake. So creepy....

I have also seen 'floaters' that sat in the column. That seemed bad too. I guess I could get some tiny cement shoes.....

BugsinCementShoes.jpg

It's easy to poke fun at the idea no harm will come from the practice but it could very well lead to an unsuspecting rookie making a panic styled emergency ascent that doesn't go as taught. Many new divers will panic if they have a shark or large Morey heading right at them.

It's easy to poke fun at the idea no harm will come from the practice but it could very well lead to an unsuspecting rookie making a panic styled emergency ascent that doesn't go as taught. Many new divers will panic if they have a shark or large Morey heading right at them.

They better get used to it. With or without feeding big fish will come up and get in your face on occasion. Last fall in the PNW (Keystone Jetty) a BIG octopus saw me and just came running towards me. Boy did I back up. Sooner or later you will look under an overhang and a nurse shark will decide to leave the area via where you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom