Source for Poseidon equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are a little harder to crack I guess....but there is just something about them. I've done dives on mine from very deep up to 10 feet, and have loved it. But hey...a regulator is personal opinion. I just happened to have really bad luck with several ScubaPro's...a lot of people I dove with used Poseidon's and never, ever had a problem. I saw a good (and cheaper) thing and went with it. Been happy ever since. I've never dove it in warm tropical water, but that's about to change in two weeks so we'll see what happens.

Interesting...
I just remembered one guy I know at work who is a real keen tech diver..He uses an Inspiration Rebreather now but I'm pretty sure he's got a Jetstream set somewhere so I might see if I can borrow it for a dive next week!

reefrat once bubbled...
Interesting...
I just remembered one guy I know at work who is a real keen tech diver..He uses an Inspiration Rebreather now but I'm pretty sure he's got a Jetstream set somewhere so I might see if I can borrow it for a dive next week!

Uh Oh!!!! Kinda like Lays......... Ya can't have just 1. I just bid on my 3rd Odin. If they ever come off the market (yea right:)), they'll be like gold. I wouldn't dive w/any other regs.

reefrat, here's my Poseidon experience I'd like to share with you:

I've now got 3 complete Odin reg sets (also own a number of interesting vintage twinhose regs......several Mares MR12 and MR 16 Voltrex reg sets, a Mares Ruby and an Atomic B1/T2).

My 1st Odin was a used set from a dive shop in Mass, and after I bought it I had them ship it to a nearby Poseidon dealer --also in MA--for an 'annual'.

Everything seemed fine, I dove it a few times with no apparent problems, but I was new to both scuba and Odins, and didn't know better.

Maybe 3 months later, not wanting to have to ship my Odin to MA for service, I found several Poseidon dealers in my area as possible candidates, but had a hard time deciding between them, so I gave all of them a little 'test', namely to see which of them could acquire some brand-new soft-silicone OEM mouthpieces I'd heard about...the only dealer that had even heard of them was Southern Scuba of Ft. Worth TX, and all the other Poseidon dealers told me that they usually had to buy their Poseidon parts from Southern Scuba too, so apparently the 'best' dealer was Southern Scuba......so that's where I went, to see if he was as good as everyone said he was.

On my 1st visit, I dropped off my 1st Odin......for $5 he offered to bench test it, so I went for it, expecting to find out what a good job the shop in MA had done on that 'annual'.

To my surprise, when he hooked it up to test equipment, the primary 2nd stage had a breathing resistance of 0.55.......and he said the factory allowance was 0.20, and he is personally able to tune it down to 0.05....so he was rather surprised I had even dove it with it that out of tune, but being new to Odins, and having read to expect a somewhat high initial 'cracking' effort, I thought it was normal, and honestly, the Odin still supplied so much air, I never had any problems.

The only 'problem' I ever had was a test dive at the bottom of a 12 ft. deep pool......I had read that the Odin 'fluttered' in shallow water , but even with it way out of tune the only way I could get it to flutter, was to hyperventilate.....I tried to overbreathe it, it kept up with me all the way, but upon very deep, fast inhales I did notice a bit of the 'flutter' sensation.

However, Alec @ Southern Scuba pretty much tore apart the diveshop in MA that did the 'annual'.......he said that while it appeared they had done some work on the 1st stage, the 2nd stages had either never been touched, or it was done very ineptly, and had never been double checked for performance, so I decided to have him go ahead and do another full 'annual'.

I was astounded at the improvement in the breathing characteristics after Alec did the 2nd 'annual'!

In the next 3 months I acquired 2 more Odin reg sets (barely used) and also took them both in for a safety/performance check by Alec......they both needed a minor tuneup per Alec's bench tests, so I went ahead and had him do the 'annuals'.......these 2 units weren't as out of wack as the Odin from MA, but weren't quite tuned to perfection, so I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and have him work his magic on these regs too.

I was astounded at how nicely behaved and easy breathing the Odin can be, if properly set up.

Alec got the 'cracking' resistance tuned way down to minimal levels, and combined with the very relaxing pilot-valve boosted inhale, the Odin is a joy to dive! The Odins practically breathe for you.......no fluttering, just abundant air even under the heaviest exertion.

I've read on this board that Odins are more difficult than average to set up properly, and based on my limited experience with 2 different dive shops I'd say you do have to be careful where you get your Odin serviced....but then again, that's probaly true for any brand of regulator, or any mechanical device, for that matter.

However, the joys of the Odin are well worth it, if you have a good dealer available.

I'd don't where you're from 'reefrat' but you ever need a GREAT Poseidon dealer, contact Alec @ southernscuba.net in Ft. Worth TX.....knowing what I know now, I'd even be happy to ship my regs to him if I didn't live in the area, he's that good!

(Alec is the regional 'master tech' for Poseidon in my 6-state area...he's the one that teaches regular Poseidon techs how to service/repair Poseidon gear.)

Remember, that "high initial resistance" you mention is not inherent to the Odin design, it's a function of how the reg is set up, and can be completely tuned away, if the Poseidon tech knows his/her stuff.

The 'rush of air' sensation is true, but I find it very reassuring and not at all unpleasant.........it's not an out of control feeling, but it's not a regulator you have to suck hard on for air....when you inhale the Odin fills up your lungs instantly, but doesn't over do it......most of the work of breathing (such as there is) is on the exhale, on the inhale side it's effortless....that's where the pilot-valve 2nd stage really shines.

If you were in the Dallas/Ft Worth area I'd be happy to loan you a reg, so if you're nearby just let me know.

Karl

With the introduction of the Extreme series and the interest in DIR the Jetstream is all the cheaper to buy!

I just bought a Cyklon 5000 just for fun. I am very interested in feeling how the breathing is compared to the Jetstream(which I love).

Karl...you had mentioned something about how the Poseidon feeds you air - I as well like that feeling personally. It's not an overpowering sensation...it's...nice. It feels like "YES! This reg will give me air NO MATTER what I do with it!". It's kind of reassuring...it doesn't force the air down your throat at all...

:approve:

I Had a similar problem SF. I bought my Odins from D***** S*****. Where I will never shop again. And they seemed VERY not right. The were set w/a hard cracking. I took them to Bill Rennaker's place in Live Oak, Fl & his tech found the IP was set @ 115psi instead of the factory reccomended setting of 140psi & he had to really adj both of the 2nd stages for the cracking pressure. They were like COMPLETE night & day after that. And he didn't even charge me. He is doing both of the 2 used 2960's I just bought. Less than a $100 for both rebuilds & I know they're done right. They are one of the best shops in cave country, being 2-3 mi. from Peacock.

All of the DIR "You can't take 'em apart underwater"

Well guess what.... If I have to take a reg apart uw..... I don't want ANY part of them. Plain & simple.

By the way folks .... MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Thanks Scubabfanatic/Thumper for the very detailed and interesting feedback.

I'll have to talk to a few LDS's around here (Perth Western Australia) to see there are any trained techs in the area..sounds like that's an important consideration!

I don't recall ever seeing a Poseidon reg on a shelf anywhere so I doubt that theres a local dealer.

The breathing characteristics you describe reminded me of how much I used to enjoy a head down descent in the days when I had a crappy reg. In this position the old reg supplied loads of air and it just seemed to glide down(up) into the lungs...yummy..it was dissappointing to get to the bottom and have to start sucking air again.
If it IS that sort of breathing sensation then I'd have no problem with it at all!

Thumper- I've never placed too much weight on that business of pulling apart regs underwater either. I don't drag my gear along the bottom (maybe sometimes a caver might not have a choice!)
and I've never seen or heard of anyone having to do it.
Although, the Apeks regs are real easy to strip and I like to pull them apart after a days diving for a thorough clean.

Scubabfanatic- thanks for the offer to try your reg, if I was about 8,000 miles closer I'd take you up on it. Anyway, this guy at work dosen't use his anymore (actually..he might know a good tech!!)
so I should be able to borrow them in a few weeks.
Almost hoping I don't like it, the missus will have a fit if I want/need to buy MORE diving gear...it never ends!

Reefrat,
Zeagle is building their own regs now. If you have a Zeagle dealer close to you, check out the new line of Zeagle regs. I have five dives on my Flathead, and I'll tell you it's a sweet setup. Here in Florida, we have access to nearly ever brand of dive equiptment, but I realize that in other parts of this country and world that isn't the case. You're smart to buy only what you can get serviced locally. Have a nice day, and dive safely. :tree: Bob

Reefrat,

Go to www.seaquip.com

E-mail the guy there. He is in WA and will give you a quote. He is no longer online trading in Australia but will sell on direct enquiry.

He deals in poseidon gera and recently gave me a great quote on some new cyklons.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom