Spiegel Grove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
I just bought a pony bottle and an Air-2 from Leisurepro, I'll be diving them solo to 180 feet on air, how do I rig them so they're DIR?

Buy a HUB...

...and remember to bring your snorkel.

lamont:
I just bought a pony bottle and an Air-2 from Leisurepro, I'll be diving them solo to 180 feet on air, how do I rig them so they're DIR?

Rather than diving solo why don't you take "Case" with you?

Paint them black :)

Henryville:
Assuming you were on 32%, an END of 73 feet sounds shallow for a narc due to nitrogen.

Current thinking is that oxygen is at least as narcotic as nitrogen, so replacing one with the other has little effect. Sorry I don't have links to the related reasearch at my fingertips.

sharky60:
Fortunately, I've been able to keep my wits about myself, realize what is happening and clam myself down or had my dive buddy or DM help me focus on them so I could clam down and not have to surface.

Good advice. FWIW, many of us go by the mantra that all problems should be solved underwater, except an OOG.

sharky60:
You may have some closter-phobic issues that you don't realize that may have brought it on, not necessarily getting narced. You may have been narced, but at 90'? I don't know.

I have been heavily narc'd at 90' on 32% and slightly narc'd at 170' on <gulp!> air. (Note: I do NOT like diving below rec depths on air) Cold temperatures, and effort vigorous swimming can narc' you at shallow depths. Just find an area at 50' and swim really hard for about a minute or two and see how your body reacts.

sharky60:
AT 90' you are starting to get to a depth where you can physically feel the water's pressure on your body, subconscously this can also be a factor in feeling closter-phobic and could cause a panic attack.

Being at 100 or even 200 feet doesn't feel any different to me than being at 5 feet as far as pressure goes, but maybe I don't knotice any subtle cues that maybe divers new to that might notice. However, if someone took you to an unknown depth, could you tell how deep you were? A lot of divers face a mental barrier when they go a little deeper than they've ever been before - psychological vs. physical.

sharky60:
Besides deep diving is over rated anyway, most of the cool stuff is at shallower depths where you can see their colors and enjoy them for longer periods of time.

There's lots to see that doesn't exist above 90'.

ClevelandDiver:
Cave diving is the pinacle of diving.

This reeks of Kool-Aid. Diving is too broad to have a single pinnacle. If the same applied to sports, there would only be one event in the olympics. Cave diving is just one pinnacle. There are very experienced divers around who will argue with you all day long (with good counter-points) that some non-cave dives demand their own equal or greater respect. The same skills apply in many other branches.

I think it is best to instill the highest standards of training in students from the outset. If that means teaching cave techniques in standard OW (without any cave connotation whatsoever), it would help the resulting skillset.

NOVEMBER 09, 2005

Virginia man dies while diving

Key Largo - A Virginia man diving on a wreck off of Key Largo died Tuesday.

47 year old Robert Smith of South Riding, Virginia was diving with a group of friends off of the dive boat "Cheeca View" from Horizon Divers when the incident took place at 10:40 a.m. He was reportedly ascending from a dive on the wreck Duane. He began to have trouble just before reaching the surface and was not breathing. Divers from the boat brought him on board and began Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation and he was brought to shore. Paramedics met the boat at shore and transported Smith to Mariner's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The Sheriff's Office dive team returned to the scene of the incident to recover Smith's dive gear Tuesday. IT will be examined for possible evidence relating to the incident. An autopsy will be done on Smith to determine the possible cause of death.

casemanager:
NOVEMBER 09, 2005

Virginia man dies while diving

Key Largo - A Virginia man diving on a wreck off of Key Largo died Tuesday.

47 year old Robert Smith of South Riding, Virginia was diving with a group of friends off of the dive boat "Cheeca View" from Horizon Divers when the incident took place at 10:40 a.m. He was reportedly ascending from a dive on the wreck Duane. He began to have trouble just before reaching the surface and was not breathing. Divers from the boat brought him on board and began Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation and he was brought to shore. Paramedics met the boat at shore and transported Smith to Mariner's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The Sheriff's Office dive team returned to the scene of the incident to recover Smith's dive gear Tuesday. IT will be examined for possible evidence relating to the incident. An autopsy will be done on Smith to determine the possible cause of death.
Yeah, saw that last week - being discussed some on this thread.

Here's a good link that might shed some light on why some divers panic and other divers don't when danger is perceived. I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom