**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I don't know about a learn to swim thread, but I would like to see a similar thread for all the intergrated wieght BCD's to point out to all the BP/W guys there are other options that are purpose designed with the recreational diver in mind.

Go for it!

I discovered today that split fins SUX! I cant even shovel my driveway with them when its fallen 2 feet of snow during the night. I better get some paddles instead..

I discovered today that split fins SUX! I cant even shovel my driveway with them when its fallen 2 feet of snow during the night. I better get some paddles instead..

That's why you keep your OLD paddlefins,they make great snowshovels:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I don't use them, and with very limited experience with them don't like them, but why bash them? Clearly some people do like them, so they must be filling a need & making people happy. So who cares?

I miss water polo but I dont have the confidence to wear my speedos in public anymore, my legs are just sooo white! LMAO

but I would like to see a similar thread for all the intergrated wieght BCD's to point out to all the BP/W guys there are other options that are purpose designed with the recreational diver in mind.
Say WHAT? :freak:

lol

This thread is great!!!! i'm just sitting here watching some bread rise, and to my horror, my cat just put her foot right in the middle of my sourdough bread. chasing a screaming cat around the house whilst waving a split fin just don't carry as much as swatting at the her with a paddle.

I have to agree with Abman, this thread is great! For the record I too have a pair of Rockets and a pair of splits but the splits see more use. I both instruct and guide divers for a living and switch fins back and forth to match what a student brings to class to help them with fin technique. For those who say you cant do advanced techinique with splits, you need to learn more. I can do every kick from a frog, helicopter, flutter and dolphin.

Furthermore, I often stride off the bow pulpit in my splits with a 20 lb anchor, 6 feet of chain and line to set the boat with absolutely no problem making fast headway under water with the weight and extra drag from pulling 50 feet of rope behind me. Once set I make a beeline to the back of the boat and grab the stern anchor dangling down and pull its weight and line to set it as well.

Even better, I can pull two 200lb men with all their gear who are Taiken diving for 30 mins. Wow, who knew that splits could actually generate thrust? When I take and advanced diver to 30 meters in current to look at garden eels its the splits I use because I know I can haul a$$ with them pulling someone if I need to.

If someone says that splits dont work in my opinion its a matter of technique and not design engineering. There is no doubt that rockets or jets are siginifantly more manueverable in rotation technique but thats about it. I make my living my towing either a large camera rig, anchors/chains/lines, or people under water and do so with splits almost every day of the week. Of the 146 dives I have made this year maybe 6 or so have been with the rockets.

My 2 cents.!

Right out of the News: Jarred Flybottm set a new depth record this week in Grand Cayman. He contributed the use of split fins to his new record of 1278.5 FSW on the south side of the island. “If I would have known about these split fins earlier I would have made 1500ft by now” when asked why the rest of the Free-Diving sport has resisted using these propulsion miracles he responded “There just too afraid to go that deep” he also said that “the extra weight acted like a sled pushing him further than he expected” all the way to the new record.

In a related story cave divers who don’t want to be followed into their special cave are using split fins in greater numbers! “Who needs to see in a cave? It’s dark in those places anyway and there is nothing to see!”

Think I will get me a pair of them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom