**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For ignorant people like me: what is the hydrostatic engineering/physics argument in favour of cutting a bloody great line down your fins? Makes no sense to me, but presumably someone must have thought of something...

Well I took my Atomic Splits to the pool with no scuba gear on and tried doing back kicks and found that I could move back a little bit but to tell the truth if I had had full scuba gear on I doubt I would have moved back at all. Frog kicks work okay for me and have used them in cenote diving without a problem.

The real advantage I have found with the Atomic splits has been how easy they are on my legs. No more cramping and knee problems! I have had my splits for about a year and thought that maybe my legs had just gotten stronger so on a second dive I tried my paddle fins again and after about 20 minutes I started getting cramps in my right leg just like I always have with paddle fins.

Gaffer

I had the pleasure of testing a variety of splits and non-splits in the pool. I have to say that I absolutely hated the Atomics because they seemed to stress my ankles so much they would become sore quickly. With the proper kick, Tusa Zooms would propel me faster and with much less effort than any other fins I tried (apollo bios were not included in the test). I have since confirmed this in the ocean with full scuba gear many times by outrunning people with little effort.

For me, the most efficient speed kick is to quickly bend my knees bringing my lower legs forward and back with rapid short easy strokes - never quite straightening my legs. Thighs are to be kept mostly motionless for increased frequency of kick. When I do this, I quickly find myself zipping along at quite a pace with little effort while leaving everyone else behind. The current makes my reg hose flap around in the current and tug at my mouth. If I'm wearing a snorkel, it really starts pulling at me. As a result, I got a folding snorkel. Since the kicks are easy, even my out-of-shape self can maintain this pace for some time.

I showed this technique one of my instructors, who also had a pair of the Tusa Zooms yet never liked them. He tried it and was amazed. And that's the truth...

Notice I made no claims about back kicks or frog kicks. On the reefs I go to, those kicks are of no interest to me. Big kicks with Tusa Zooms? Forget it - lots of work with little effect.

Fresca on the key board.

Ahhh last time I checked Fresca is not DIR ... however since Diet Coke is indeed Black ... well you need to make a decision here concerning properly colored diet soft drinks ...

Guinness Stout on the keyboard this time.

(It's 3:00PM here and I've been working in the yard since 10:00) :)

Ok I lied. It was actually Coors Light. I was afraid of getting flamed.

Guinness Stout on the keyboard this time.

(It's 3:00PM here and I've been working in the yard since 10:00) :)

Ok I lied. It was actually Coors Light. I was afraid of getting flamed.

Ahhhhh Coors Light. Here I thought you may be having a beer:D

Head is hung in shame.

But I think of it as an alternate to the vitamin water energy drinks which are in fashion.

Head is hung in shame.

But I think of it as an alternate to the vitamin water energy drinks which are in fashion.

There are probably more vitamins in the water. :wink:

(that said, I've been there... nothing else in the house but leftovers from that party a few months ago, and you really want something bubbly but not sweet...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom