Sport Chalet....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are, unfortunately, poor employees in every business. I'm not saying that SC is the best dive store and has the best employees, they aren't and they don't. There are many things I would change about SC if I were in charge (which, I wouldn't want to be). I don't mind someone saying that they don't like SC or won't ever go there. I am sorry you had a poor experience. I only mind when someone makes a blanket statements regarding people they don't know.

I know of several excellent instructors who have worked for Sport Chalet. I'd go with them any day. I know a number who I wouldn't consider suitable as a dive buddy. However, I will buy some of my gear there when the price is right.

Dr. Bill

PhotoTJ:
There is a saying, "We can be good, fast, and cheap. Pick two."

I'll bet 90% pick fast and cheap.
I'll take good and reasonable.
I don't mind paying for quality, but at the same time, I won't pay needlessly when there's no advantage. Guess where my equipment goes for work... I either do it myself, or it goes to the LDS. The last time I took a reg to SC, it took them FOUR MONTHS to get it back to me. The total bill was over $150, as they claimed that a bunch of brass needed to be replaced due to the chipped chrome.

What happened the first time I took that reg in the water? It leaked. Not a true freeflow, just a gentle trickle of bubbles. Had it not been my backup, I never would have known or cared.

A company does not get a second chance to screw up on an overhaul of my dive gear. That goes for an LDS as well, and FWIW, I'm even more against another LDS in the Montclair area than I am SC. I still give some business to SC (just none that requires an employee to do more than scan the item).

FWIW, I drive 45 miles each way for my nitrox fills.

Ann Marie:
To make a comment such as yours is ignorant and in poor taste, I think you owe past and current SC staff an apology.
No need to take it personally, as it was not directed at any specific individuals.

Like I said... I've had some good experiences, and was very happy with my two instructors. There ARE some good people there.

No need for an apology to the past SC staff, because, for the most part, the past staff was pretty good. It's been the last 4-5 years that they've been falling apart.
Now, stock levels and selection are falling apart. Good products have been discontinued, and pegs and shelves are empty. This is a direct reflection on upper management dictating to the individual store managers how they will run their shops.

As far as ignorant and poor taste, I think that applies to the initial message which was little more than an unpaid advertisement.

I'm a regular customer of the Redlands SC. I had a great instructor, and have never had any problems with air fills or anything else. There are a couple of young girls working there now who are new, but really go out of there way to help you out. The manager, Scott, knows his stuff, and is a very good diver. On the other hand, there are 3 other dive shops in the area, and each one of them has lied to me about gear, prices, etc. As someone previously said, I am sure there are many SC customers who are happy to do business with them, but you only hear about the negative stuff.

Scott Riemer:
Ann Marie, I don't know you and therefore I wouldn't dare say my experience at SC reflects all employees as a whole. But, I did have a poor experience with the staff in the Diving dept. at my local SC, therefore, I have not and will not go back. .....

Scott,
Since I'm in Placentia and I see you're in Yorba Linda, I'm assuming your "local" SC is the same as mine. I have to agree with you - other than the instructors that I was lucky enough to fall into when I first went there (I want to make it clear that I still feel that they are the BEST, very knowledgable and helpful), there are very few other people that work in the dive shop of that store that I trust with anything. They're all very nice, professional people (and I know that a lot of them have college degrees, too, so they can't be complete idiots), but I have had too many times than I can count where I was given wrong info or they didn't follow through on things I was told they would do (like when they were going to send my tank away for a tumble - I came in a week and a half later to get my other tank filled, and the one that was suppossed to be sent away 9 days ago was still sitting there - and, no, it hadn't gine and come back already.). They are by far the most convenient lds for me, and they do give good, full fills, so when I need my tanks filled, they still go there (plus, I get a free fill card with my dive club, so it doesn't cost me anything). Anything else, though, and I make the trip to Scuba World, Pacific Wilderness, or Sea Ventures. It may be slightly more expensive there, but at least I can trust the info I'm given.

And, TJ, I'd much rather have good and competitive - I can pay more if I didn't plan ahead enough to where I need fast. But, the quality of information and service is what I'm looking for. Plus. unless it's a tent sale, I wouldn't consider Sport Chalet cheap. Most of the other local shops's marked prices match SC (or come pretty close), and they are much more willing to offer deals for big items that SC won't even consider.

saf_25:
like when they were going to send my tank away for a tumble - I came in a week and a half later to get my other tank filled, and the one that was suppossed to be sent away 9 days ago was still sitting there - and, no, it hadn't gine and come back already.
The first question is, if this was an Al-80, why does it need a tumble?

PhotoTJ:
corrosion, of course.

Is this a serious reply, or some kind of inside joke?

I'm confused as to why you would ever need to tumble an AL tank. Even if the tank gets scratched, you wouldn't tumble it. Unless it is in contact with Mercury, AL doesn't really corrode, it creates al oxide, which is as hard as a sapphire.

Xanthro

I have never had a negative experience at SC,however it is a department store and while the normal scuba dept personnel generally know what they are talking about occasionally some are young or from another dept.I go there to buy gear at reasonable prices and get "opinions". If I have any ???? we have a great tool ,this board, but it is also opinions.usually SC will have the latest specs and testing results on equip from various sources.no complaints here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom