Ssi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

up to AOW.

I'd have Rescue by now, but the instructor that I like around here, who happens to teach for SSI, refuses to allow me to take the class in a BP+Wing.... so I'll buy another 200 tanks worth of O2 for my Nitrox mixer with the money I was going to spend on the class.

I too am certified through SSI. My choice was influenced more by the instructor/dive shop because of the outstanding reputation. I have not been disappointed with my choice.

I was originally certified NAUI about 15 years ago. I did not dive for about 10 years so I got recertified SSI. I chose SSI because it's what the dive shop I found offered.

Genesis once bubbled...
up to AOW.
I'd have Rescue by now, but the instructor that I like around here, who happens to teach for SSI, refuses to allow me to take the class in a BP+Wing.... so I'll buy another 200 tanks worth of O2 for my Nitrox mixer with the money I was going to spend on the class.
That is the instructor's preference. It is not SSI policy.
Rick

I called SSI and asked.

However, since there are a limited number of choices for this class here, the only SSI shop that I am aware of, and this was the person who I had received instruction from before and knew that I'd get a quality class, it basically killed my desire to proceed further through SSI.

I can get a lot of "experience points" by consuming the money I was going to spend on the class in filter cartridges and O2 bottles though..... perhaps even more value, overall, than I could have received in the class.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
I was certified NASDS in 1971, and they were bought out by SSI, so now I'm SSI.
I heard a rumor that SSI was goint to buy out NAUI. Anyone hear anything about this??
(1) SSI is "son of NASDS" - founded by NASDS instructors in '70. A few years ago the management of both agencies decided to kiss & make up, but since SSI had outgrown NASDS by a long shot, (and SSI was "International" while NASDS was "National") the combined companies chose to retain the SSI name. By the way, I really like what they've done - made a concerted effort to take the best of both companies and make it one, and it's working out very well. I believe that with the merger SSI became the second largest agency.
(2) I think there were some preliminary (exploratory) talks between SSI and NAUI a couple or three years ago, but I believe the idea fizzled early. If they're reconsidering it I haven't heard about it.
Rick

Genesis once bubbled...
up to AOW.

Considering the BP+Wing seems to be the Defacto "Technical" setup, I wonder why they are taking that stance. It defies all of my Logic centers. (just like those instructors who will not teach divers all wearing black, because it attracts sharks)

I am with SSI ... ;-]

I did OW, Adv OW, Nitrox, Stress/Resuce, DiveCon programs
with SSI.

I had a great time and Learned alot.

The Instructors all did a great job in instruction.

I cant see you losing out in taking more SSI classes.

bob

Windwalker once bubbled...

Considering the BP+Wing seems to be the Defacto "Technical" setup, I wonder why they are taking that stance. It defies all of my Logic centers. (just like those instructors who will not teach divers all wearing black, because it attracts sharks)

I don't agree with this instructor either. I don't know his reasoning. To my knowledge, our instructors would teach Stress and Rescue as long as a rig is "safe."

But, to the one point, SSI encourages no form of Technical Diving. So, if something is considered a technical set-up, that may be a "minus" and not a "plus." Of the major organizations, they are one of the few with NO certifications beyond NDL diving and for diving below 130 ft. Oh, and any overhead environment diving would be included in this category as well.

I will be a DiveCon pretty soon. Check it out and you will know what I am saying. The SSI stance appears to be that if you wish to dive outside of NDL's or dive below 130, there are many organizations that will teach you "technical diving". SSI will only certify for recreational diving. This statement appears in their deep diving course as well as the training materials for their dive professionals. You won't do it on their ticket and take that risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom