Ssi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windwalker once bubbled...
Considering the BP+Wing seems to be the Defacto "Technical" setup, I wonder why they are taking that stance. It defies all of my Logic centers. (just like those instructors who will not teach divers all wearing black, because it attracts sharks)
They are not "taking that stance." This is one instructor's choice. As I have already said, this is not SSI policy.
Rick

Correct. I should have been more specific and not use a generalized term of "They". Everyone who instructs at my Diveshop (which is a SSI shop) dives dry and BP+wing. They even tried to talk me into one. I agree that this is one instructor as Genesis said. I also think that if the rig is safe and the student knows how to use it, the instructor should not care.

If the student had a BP+wing (in no way am I saying this even slightly pertains to Genesis) and is completely out of trim and darn near drowning when he/she gets into the water, then I (as the instructor) would not allow it - on that student.

One area that I _MIGHT_ not let a student dive with something is IF I did not know how to work it, or it was obviously neglected (not maintained).

If I did not know how to work it, I would take the time to find out how, rather then penalize the student.

Seems. I am a little off topic.. sorry.
Now returning you to your regularly scheduled Heated Rant.. I.. mean.. Thread. :p

Ron,

I dont believe my dive shop required me to buy a lot of equipment, only the essentials. (mask, fins, snorkel, boots) Of course they say buy your own equipment asap, so, I'm slowly working on that now. Poor college kid here...lol.

Rick and windwalker,

I'm curious, what is a BP+wing?? Is that a type of BC??:)

:spider:

"what is a BP+wing?? Is that a type of BC??"

Yes. Do a search and you'll find lots of good information on the topic, perhaps too much information. It gets discussed quite often.

Oh!!! It's one of those....lol..:light:

I've seen them but I just thought it was another style tradmarked by that company.....thanks for the info guys!!!

I dive a back inflate, But I am putting together some buddy gear, it is going to be BP+wing, mainly because it will fit on darn near anyone with some adjustment. There are two people in my house who dive, neither has enough money to buy their own gear at the moment. One is 6'2 360 pounds, the other is 5'4 120 pounds. One BP+wing will fit both with some adjustment.

Oops seem to have Hijacked this thread.

So what's the difference between the Halcyon rig and a Zeagle Ranger? Just the hard back plate? Having dived with a "bagel style" BC using a hard plate on my tank I concur they are very comfortable, so is my Zeagle.

Anyway I went SSI becuase it wasn't PADI :) (PADI has/had a very bad rep in the UK). Then after that I converted to PADI as I had a friend who was an instructor and wanted to get his student numbers up and I was willing. A free AOW - can't go wrong!

The only thing I want to do now is a stress and rescue course. Don't know whether I'll do that with PADI or SSI - just depends who will offer me the smoothest path to Master Diver (or equivalent)given my current certs and experience.

Oh...kay..
I belive a Zeagle ranger is a webbing with integrated weights pockets etc. A Halcyon Rig (using the term rig I am assuming the most technical) would be a solid chunk of steel (aluminum) with 2 inch webbing ran through it. check this link out
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/harness.shtml

with pretty much all the pockets, d-ring etc. added as needed. and not (sp) permenantly attached.

Okay you DIR types.. this is Your Chance! :)

Back
Top Bottom