Ssi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sports I is about equivalent to SSI/PADI regular OW diver (can only dive with dive leader or higher)

SSI, PADI, NAUI and others in the US have "OW" as being qualified to dive without supervision (e.g. no "dive leader" or "dive mater" required.)

Now whether many people who actually finish that class ARE qualified to dive unsupervised at the conclusion of the class is another matter! :)

DrSteve once bubbled...
Once again I will plug BSAC...FREE instruction - join the club for about 50 pounds a year and hire the equipment while training for a nominal fee (very cheap) and then learn to be a sports diver I and II, diver leader and advanced diver.

Sounds great but I couldn't find a local branch in the US to train with.:D

I'd personally be happy if the big agencies would adopt some of the standards and requirements used by BSAC. But I have to admit that the first agency to require a 10 week introductory course would also be the first agency to lose out to "Come learn with PADI we do in 4 sessions what others take 10 weeks to do."

DrSteve once bubbled...
But I have to admit that the first agency to require a 10 week introductory course would also be the first agency to lose out to "Come learn with PADI we do in 4 sessions what others take 10 weeks to do."
A smart agency would offer both the standard OW courses now available, and a super duper deluxe course that went much longer and included all of the material of PADI OW, AOW, and Rescue courses.

When GUE finally gets around to activating their OW course, you can be sure that PADI, SSI, PDIC, et al will be watching to see if there is much interest.

:( I think your missing a very important point. There is NO Federal agency governing this sport. No State or Federal agency issues a c-card (US Navy excluded :)

:upset: It is governed by a group of FOR profit agencies (Not including DAN & the YMCA) that are dictating a price for the supposed qualifications.

:confused: Does spending money or having a LOT of cards necessarily make you a safer diver? I’ve seen instructors dive off the boat – only to ask a student to turn on there air. What happened to checking you equipment before entering the water?

I may be a new diver, but I am not about to exceed my OWN personal limits & skills. Knowledge and not exceeding your skill level is more important than another endorsement on my c-card. What’s next? C-Cards that expire every 5 years and then you have to take another course? Thank god I have my own boat & never push my luck. You can ALWAYS call off a dive if it exceeds your skill level or comfort. Does SSI, PADI or the rest of the agencies have more of an interest in keeping you alive then you do?

Thanks for letting me vent - I feel better!

At my resort we will not honor any SSI diver cards. Something to keep in mind next time you choose a dive agency

GARY1948 once bubbled...
At my resort we will not honor any SSI diver cards. Something to keep in mind next time you choose a dive agency
Or maybe the "Resort" a diver plans on staying at.

You gotta be kidding!! Lets try shooting yourself in the other foot now.

Yep. I'll keep it in mind, all right.

When I do my trip planning I will avoid all "resorts" who discriminate against me and others who dive, and urge lots of other people to do it too.

Perhaps, if enough of us so urge and boycott such "businesses", those "resorts" will be reclaimed by the sea! ;-0

GARY1948 once bubbled...

Yeah buddy, thats real smart, just because you had a beef with SSI Latin AMerica, you've decided to hit em where it hurts, huh???

Well, I dont think so bubba... DOnt expect too much business at your little resort. I think most SSI divers will take their money elsewhere anyways. Your little resort is a waste of time and money...

GARY1948 once bubbled...

I believe that we all got to read your side of the story on that one, but cutting off your nose to spite your face might be one of the more ill-advised things that you could do here. If your problem was with the quality and safety of SSI training (which you admitted that it wasn't), then you could be congratulated for fighting the good fight. But, it came down to politics. Sometimes one has to admit while they are not dealing with the 800 pound gorilla (in this case PADI), they are dealing with one in the 500-600 pound range.

I would simply take my SSI and IANTD cards and go elsewhere. So will many others, I am willing to wager....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom