Ssi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaspider once bubbled...
Hi all,
I'm certified by SSI and was wandering if ne one else is cuz all I ever hear or see is ppl from PADI and NAUI.
I know I'm not the only one, (well, I hope I'm not), so I was just wandering if ne one else out there is SSI? If not/so, what made you chose SSI or the agency you are certified from?
For me, it's the only dive shop/agency that's local.
Thanks,
:spider:
Both medical1 & myself are ssi we chose it because of the intensity of ssi training...I wanted to be private cert. so I could take my time and be absolutely positive and comfortable with my ability and knowledge. I also wanted a local dive club/group and use of indoor pool to try out gear before purchase even if I chose not to purchase through them... :D :fury:
Don't tell them :whack:
We had a choice of naui-padi-ymca-ssi.....I personaly felt better with ssi for open water & nitrox but am not loyal for advanced which I will be taking next...probably will be doing the next through padi or naui...
:mean:

Like you, I was just explaining my viewpoint.

As to the AOW sign-off, that was a "common sense" situation. My dive buddy had been diving since the 1980's, doesn't log the bulk of his dives, and still has about 250 logged dives. Most of these are in cold water with low vis and they were made deep before the scuba police started checking up on this stuff.

I was using the college issue to make my point (as is the meaning of the term analogy). It wasn't perfect. I was just using it to state that we live in the real world and sometimes it isn't always fair. That was to answer the distinquished Mr. Austin, because I felt that he had a valid point. Most divers of more than a few months acquantance in the sport, myself included, know of at least a couple divers with wallets full of C-Cards who don't know how to stay off the bottom, have equipment dangling all over the place, and don't wish to listen because they have these "advanced cards". This isn't a pretty picture on a dive weekend.

Enjoy your trip to your next level. I, for one, look forward to hearing about some of your dives.

I have been with SSI classes since 1989. I like the courses and the instructors. I believe it is one of the best, I have nothing against any of the others I just like SSI and am going for Instructor next....

:mean: Rich

srkdvr once bubbled...
I have been with SSI classes since 1989. I like the courses and the instructors. I believe it is one of the best, I have nothing against any of the others I just like SSI and am going for Instructor next....

:mean: Rich

What!!! No Nitrox!
For Shame!! :D

I've got started with SSI because the dive shop I got certified through (which came highly recommended) only certified through SSI.

Since then I've taken several SSI classes (Adv OW, Nitrox, UW Photography, Stress and Rescue, and DiveCon) and been really happy with all of them.

All of the classes were structured from the standpoint of giving you all of the important information you need and then building your confidence in applying what you were taught.

Debbraey once bubbled...

We had a choice of naui-padi-ymca-ssi.....I personaly felt better with ssi for open water & nitrox but am not loyal for advanced which I will be taking next...probably will be doing the next through padi or naui...
:mean:

I personally like the SSI advanced over padi. That is only my opinion from my experiences, NOT a slam at anyone. The padi instructor that wanted to "teach" me AOW had less dives in the specialties that he taught than I did. Not too good IMHO. If you are wanting a super through education that the NAUI master diver course. Toughest and most thorough darn thing I ever did and I'm a SSI AOW instructor.

double125's once bubbled...
SSI open water. My only beef with them is their courses seem higher.

That is strictly the LDS's pricing system. We have a SSI shop in the area that teaches open water for $99, as long as you buy about $400 worth of basic equipment from him, otherwise the price increases to $250 and that is only for academics and pool. IF you want to get your certification dives in you must pay an additional $150 AND rent your major equipment.

I never realized what a true "Business" diving has become. Sort of like the medical field. Seems like there is a lot more emphasis on marketing & sales then on teaching you the course you signed up for. I wonder how many new divers have been turned off of the sport entirely?
PS: I'm also a VP of Sales for a National Company
***This is just my opinion - I could be wrong***

Please don't flame me :)Business

I agree that the pricing is a bit high, but for the quality of education and training I recieved, I think it was worth it. Now a days, any sport you take-up becomes expensive. Look at soccer for instance, (only using this as an analogy cuz i was in soccer) shinguards, boots, goalkeeper gloves and shirts, it all gets quite expensive.

For my training and education adn major equipment rental for the class, I think it was worth my 300 dollars for OW.

Once again I will plug BSAC...FREE instruction - join the club for about 50 pounds a year and hire the equipment while training for a nominal fee (very cheap) and then learn to be a sports diver I and II, diver leader and advanced diver.

Sports I is about equivalent to SSI/PADI regular OW diver (can only dive with dive leader or higher)
Sports II about equivalent to an AOW (can dive with anyone except Sports I)
Dive leader at least Dive Master
Advanced makes you a god. I don't believe there are any levels within SSI/PADI/NAUI which can compare (but I may be wrong)

Why else do I love BSAC so much apart from the price? To be a Sports II you have to have 10 dives logged, which must be performed on several different days and show a variety of skills, deep, dark, deco etc., AND during your training you have to perform a deep water rescue both in the pool an in open water. In the classroom it will take you 20 sessions to get to sports II, much more in depth than SSI or PADI. It is very thorough.

Finally although BSAC itself is out for a profit, each club is a non-profit and safety is the number one priority at branch and national level. It's number 3 on PADI's after profit and having fun. That was told to me by a BSAC Advanced Instructor who also became a PADI instructor (ironically so he could charge for teaching)

Back
Top Bottom