STAless with the new Mach V???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does the STA-less roll-control Oxycheq wings compare to DSS systems, which I believe are based around the same concepts? How do they differ from each other??

This is not against any other wing, better or worse or whatever, your question is not clear if your asking about the attachment method or how the wings differ in design?

The Mach V is probably the most extreme wing available in that it is very low profile, very narrow, very compact probably to the limit of what could be done and still maintain full functionality. If your diving a Mach V not only will you be poodle jacket free zone but you will also be a "taco" free zone.

You know why I was attracted to the Mach V, nothing mysterious, I require the off centered inflator hose design that the OxyCheq wings employ and I like the minimal profile of the Mach V. I cannot use the center inflator hose designs because I dive a double hose and they interfere with the double hose regulator--it is just that simple. No, OxyCheq is not paying me to hawk their gear--lol--they may even ban me because I am such a contrarian.

N

I actually prefer a STA.

What do you perceive as the negatives of a STA?

Mine cost about 50 bucks and provides a more stable platform when switching out cylinders.

Edit: Meant for OP, not Nem.

Scubatoys say you need a STA:

OxyCheq Mach V Wing, DIR and Technical, OxyCheq, OxyCheq Mach V Wing

but the new versions on the Oxycheq site don't need a STA:

Mach V 30# Wing

I think Scubatoys needs to update it website :)

I ordered the Mach V wing from them, the cheaper version that says it requires a STA. I received the new model that has the cam slots and STAless dohickeys (Bonus!)

Good job too, since I'd ordered a cheap two piece STA off ebay and the boltss that came with it are basically useless. They are barely long enough to bolt the STA to the backplate...as long as there is nothing between them. They won't fit with a grommet in bewteen (do ANY wings come without grommets?).

Note: I received the latest version, with the black Oxycheq embroidery and the cam belt slots, not the indestructible Mach V Extreme.

So anyway, I threaded the cam straps through the wing and the slots on the back plate. Those built in dohickeys do the trick, the tank is very stable with no wobble using this setup.

Like everyone says, the Mach V wing is awsome, I love it.

Oxycheq has a new, very happy, loyal customer.

I just got my Mach V ... also, Stealth embroidery and STA-less dohickies...

I have only had a little pool work with it so far, but it seems to hold the tank solid..however, I noticed it seems easy to get the tank slanted in the mountings..inside both on one tank strap, and outside one on the other strap...so the tank is canted at an angle to the line of the BP. I'm trying out a 2piece lightweight STA next to see if that makes a difference. It might also be just a "getting used to" issue....more pool time and a dive or two will be the real test.

Quality and compactness are very impressive. Just need a couple of dives to get everything dialed in and "used to"...

I think Scubatoys needs to update it website :)

I ordered the Mach V wing from them, the cheaper version that says it requires a STA. I received the new model that has the cam slots and STAless dohickeys (Bonus!)

Good job too, since I'd ordered a cheap two piece STA off ebay and the boltss that came with it are basically useless. They are barely long enough to bolt the STA to the backplate...as long as there is nothing between them. They won't fit with a grommet in bewteen (do ANY wings come without grommets?).

You can just got to Home Depot or Lowes and buy longer bolts. I recently went and bought extra wing nuts, lock washer, washers, and bolts for a few dollars. They should all be available in SS.

You can just got to Home Depot or Lowes and buy longer bolts. I recently went and bought extra wing nuts, lock washer, washers, and bolts for a few dollars. They should all be available in SS.

I might look into that when I get back to the states, it's not worth trying to overcome the language barrier to buy new nuts and bolts here.
Besides the wing works great with out the STA, I've got about 5 hrs of bottom time with it so far with no problems, well...other than running out of air.:eyebrow:

I just got my Mach V ... also, Stealth embroidery and STA-less dohickies...

I have only had a little pool work with it so far, but it seems to hold the tank solid..however, I noticed it seems easy to get the tank slanted in the mountings..inside both on one tank strap, and outside one on the other strap...so the tank is canted at an angle to the line of the BP. I'm trying out a 2piece lightweight STA next to see if that makes a difference. It might also be just a "getting used to" issue....more pool time and a dive or two will be the real test.

Quality and compactness are very impressive. Just need a couple of dives to get everything dialed in and "used to"...

You might be better served with a one piece light weight stay, Both the Oxy and DiveRite STA's only weigh .75#. I have a 2 piece STA. It can be a PITA when changing tanks because they can spin around the bolts. Almost as awkward as changing tanks without a STA.
FWIW, I see no advantage to going STA less with this wing. STA less slotted wings and plates are a pain to change tanks on a crampted rocking boat.
The 2 STAs I mentioned above move the cylinder out about about an 1/4 th of an inch off the plate. As for breaking down the BC..I think it is easier to remove and replace two wing nuts as opposed to rethreading two cam straps.

I did a couple of dives with new BP/Mach V setup yesterday. Tank stays solidly in place, howewer it's a pain to center the tank relatively to the vertical line of BP, it doesn't self-center when you tighten tank straps. Took me 3 or 4 tries to correct, maybe due to lack of experience.. :) I only noticed this issue with a wet rig, if it makes a difference.

Thinking about trying it with STA now.

Vlad

I can see the pros and cons of going with or without an STA. However for myself, depending on if I am diving the cold no vis lakes where I live. Or the warm carribean. The extra 3 or 4 pds of weight in the STA is a blessing. Why would you want to carry that much more weight on you belt or in pockets when you can spread it out across your back. The bright yellow lettering on my Mach 5 is sometimes the only way we can see each other. :D
Kelly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom