Standard DM gratuity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally misread that.

Too funny.

I meant to write barely more than a 15% tip- what is it? Like 15.3% or 15.4%?

Funny how I cannot multiply and read in my head at the same time but can somehow figure partial pressue.

The point is still the same: $10.00 on a $65.00 bill is hardly overtipping using the 15% guideline.

I suppose I get kind of charged up when I read this topic. It amazes me how some people in the US think about this. The bartenders, waiters, or divemasters didnt set up this system. When one stiffs someone on a tip because they think the system is wrong, one only hurts person who makes little to no money.

matts1w:
I suppose I get kind of charged up when I read this topic. It amazes me how some people in the US think about this. The bartenders, waiters, or divemasters didnt set up this system. When one stiffs someone on a tip because they think the system is wrong, one only hurts person who makes little to no money.

The counter argument (being a devil's advocate only!) is that if you (everyone) stop tipping, the number of DMs willing to work without being paid will drop. So for a boat to attract a crew they will actually have to start paying in some way... which is more of a stable income than tips and a benefit to the low income earner.

Tipping culture is different the world over - for example I've got used to the idea of writing a tip on to a credit card bill when I'm in Canada because I've asked and found out that the tip actually goes to the staff. In the UK, though, if you write a tip onto the credit card bill it goes to the resturant not the waiter, which I think kinda sucks.

AndyNZ:
The counter argument (being a devil's advocate only!) is that if you (everyone) stop tipping, the number of DMs willing to work without being paid will drop. So for a boat to attract a crew they will actually have to start paying in some way... which is more of a stable income than tips and a benefit to the low income earner.

Tipping culture is different the world over - for example I've got used to the idea of writing a tip on to a credit card bill when I'm in Canada because I've asked and found out that the tip actually goes to the staff. In the UK, though, if you write a tip onto the credit card bill it goes to the resturant not the waiter, which I think kinda sucks.

The Starbucks down the street from me has a "Tip Jar". FWIW, I have grown accustomed to tipping $5 per tank directly to my DM. Liveaboard, I'll tip 10%-15% of the total charter rate.

AndyNZ:

Which is fine. Just realize that for an employer to attract a decent staff (on the dive platform, behind the bar, whatever) he/she will have to start paying a living wage. This means the $65.00 two tank dive will now cost $75.00 to $80.00 and the $3.00 beer will now cost something like $3.75. I would also bet the same people who complain about tipping would be the same people crying about the new high cost of diving.

AndyNZ:

I know this is probably off topic, but....

I've always wondered about the tipping culture... Since I live in 2 tourist destination towns, and my business caters to tourists, since my stores sell souvenirs...

I often hear from my friends who wait tables, that europeans OFTEN stiff them, when it comes to tips.

So, as I understand it... when I go to europe, most restaurants have gratuity included, so there's no need to tip for service... Unless you want to give a little extra.

Is this common knowledge here in the US? Do most people know this?

If so... then do europeans and other non-american tourists coming to the US know that the tip is NOT included in the US, unless it's stated so on the menu??? OR are they just bad tippers, compared to americans?

Just wondering

What personal service do you feel the DM is giving you that you feel they deserve a tip?

matts1w:
Which is fine. Just realize that for an employer to attract a decent staff (on the dive platform, behind the bar, whatever) he/she will have to start paying a living wage. This means the $65.00 two tank dive will now cost $75.00 to $80.00 and the $3.00 beer will now cost something like $3.75. I would also bet the same people who complain about tipping would be the same people crying about the new high cost of diving.

Where I am in Puerto Vallarta, a lot of divers from all over figure this is Mexico everything is cheap and will sometimes not tip or tip dive boat crews something like 20 pesos, $2 US, which I think is insulting This applies to about 50% of the divers I see. Mind you, a lot are not frequent divers like most of the folks here on the board but that is no excuse because I know a lot of restauant owners here and they tell me their staff usually get 15% or 20%. Resort towns are not cheap places to live, even in Mexico so I always tip at least $15 for a good day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom