Starting Classes Tomorrow - Advice Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being cold is a significant distraction to learning... even only mildly cold. I wear a 3mm suit to teach in a heated pool. I strongly recommend that my students do so as well.

I am pretty sure I'm going to just wear the wetsuit, I have the feeling that I will be one of those for whom it is torture - I'm always cold! Though to be fair, I often snorkel for hours in the VI with no wetsuit and do not usually get cold. I talked to my instructor and he says he always wears his 3mm in the pool so sounds good to me!

Don't worry - I haven't let anyone talk me into buying crazy gear yet! :) I did buy new fins and mask because I had been using the shorter snorkel fins and personally didn't feel comfortable using them for scuba (even in the pool). My mask also fit terribly so it was time for a new one - the new mask is absolutely fantastic, I really had no idea how awful my previous one was until I tried one on that actually fit well! lol

I also bought good quality diving boots. Everything really fits great and I checked the Amazon prices, and they actually gave me a pretty good deal so I'm pretty happy with the new stuff and will feel a lot more comfortable in the water.

I do think I am going to hold off on any further purchases until I have more experience with the equipment. I consider this something that I will be doing long-term and so I am definitely happy to invest in good quality, well-fitting stuff that I can use in the future but I agree with the comments suggesting that I wait and get the feel for different brands, etc. Thanks again!

I think I have all the basics down as far as gear (snorkel, fins, books, mask, wetsuit), the only other thing I might buy is a thicker wetsuit for the open water dives, as I live in Boston and will be doing my certification dives here prior to going to Hawaii though I also plan on doing several dives while there. Basically, I just want as much training as possible before I go and then will be continuing with it when I get back. Safety first!

As far as the weight checks, I recall during my other dives that the equipment was very, very heavy when out of the water (felt like it was half my body weight). I am quite small naturally with an athletic build (5'5", 110lbs but I usually go down to 105 during the summer). How much should they be weighting me? I assume this will vary based on the salinity of the water, but is there a range I can expect? How will I know if I am over-weighted?

How much should they be weighting me? I assume this will vary based on the salinity of the water, but is there a range I can expect? How will I know if I am over-weighted?

That is always an unknown with a new diver.

One rule of thumb states that with an empty BCD you should barely float if you inhale, but sink when you exhale - at the END of the dive when your tank is near empty.

It also depends entirely on what exposure gear you are wearing. Very typically, you will need less weighting as you get more comfortable, your buoyancy control improves, and your breathing cycle relaxes. Salt water will require a couple of pounds more lead than fresh.

Your instructor will help you. It is part of every new student's introduction.

A 3mm suit is pretty important in a 80° pool. That temperature in the water is a lot different from on land, because the water takes heat away from your body faster than does air. An 80° pool for scuba instruction is a tad on the cool side. I used to teach in a dedicated scuba instruction pool, and it was kept at 87°. A lot depends upon how long your sessions will be. You should have no trouble in a two hour session. I think everyone would be very cold after 4 hours in water of that temperature. When I teach now in a standard swimming pool at cooler temperatures, the sessions are 3.5 hours, and we take a hot tub break in the middle.

As far as weight goes, if you are in a 3mm suit at your size in fresh water, you will need very little weight at all. We are all different in body composition and have different weighting needs, but it is possible that the instructor may have to overweight you a little just so that you have enough weight to do the weight handling skills. A big factor is how the instructor teaches the skills. Some have the students kneeling on the floor of the pool to do the skills, and some have them in horizontal position, as if they are diving, to do the skills. Students anchored to the floor on their knees require a lot more weight than those in diving position. If they have what would be considered the right amount of weight for diving, they keep bobbing up as they do the skills, so many instructors slap a lot of weight on them to keep them down. If they are instead lying in horizontal position, a little bobbing is actually desired, so a student can be more properly weighted.

To give you an idea on weight, I am 6-0 tall and over 200 pounds. When I was in the warm pool with a 3mm shorty, I wore 6 pounds because I wanted to be a little overweighted to work with students. To be perfectly weighted for diving, I would have used no weight at all. I now teach in a 3mm full suit, and I am intentionally overweighted with 8-9 pounds.

I once met a female your size whose instructor put 20 pounds on her in the pool. IT was ridiculous. She could not do any of the buoyancy skills with that much lead. Let's hope your instructor does not do anything like that.

My dive center uses the BU Agganis Arena facilities which I am familiar with and it is a really high end facility so I think the pool itself should be great! I go to grad school at BU (SPH) currently and used to work for them across the street from Agganis. In any case, it's a great spot and lots of professional athletes in Boston train there. :) :)

Thank you John for the examples - I know that everything will depend on the individual and it's something I will learn over time. Though I do now know not to let them put 20lbs on me! lol I am sure they won't do that and am not afraid to speak up if I'm unsure about anything at all.

My first lecture is tonight and I am really looking forward to it! I just hope the ear issues won't give me much trouble. If they do, I'll think I'll take a private class or two just to work on equalization. Still worried that my new PC is going to give me a hard time about it...

---------- Post added April 6th, 2015 at 01:44 PM ----------

I spent some time practicing on my knees in the water with my instructor in Puerto Rico, and I don't think he had much weight on me at all honestly - maybe 5lbs?

Do not be too hard on yourself about how you do, and how long your tank lasts, in cold water.

Despite my present address, i grew up in Marblehead so I know how cold it still is in May, even June, in Mass bay (a little warmer south of the Cape and around Rhode island).

But I learned to dive down here, so if it's below 70, it's cold and below 80, it's 'cool' and I may wear a hoodie vest (an excellent and cheap thing to buy early on in my opinion) over or under whatever wet suit.

That said, my third and fourth post-cert dives were off "Bahhnstable", in August about 60 surface, but 54 once you descend a little. Visibility was murky, never found the "reef' the others were diving, and 45 feet or so felt really deep to this new diver. It was a short dive, second one a little longer and a bit more relaxed. I didn't kill myself and did find the boat at the end of both dives. Modest objectives, attained..

Afterward, the locals on the boat said, "Dude, awright, now you've dived the (expletive deleted) NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN!!", and I felt better, since obviously I was now a tough guy.

A few weeks later, back in New Orleans, I drove over to Freeport Texas, and went out on a liveaboard for three days, to this place, 90 miles offshore:
flower garden banks national marine sanctuary - Bing Images

a/k/a the "Texas Caribbean". Really fun and I learned a lot. September, water temp 86F. Water clear as gin, 100' visibility. Little current (not always the case here, but nice for this newbie). 12 dives later I felt more like a veteran, and I must say these dives seemed MUCH easier than Barnstable, even though twice as deep.

So cut yourself some slack in the frozen north. To me, it's like broccoli--not necessarily fun fun, but "good for me" and I fee; good afterward. Down south is more like that dessert parfait... ;-)

That was actually the moment I knew this was just meant for me, that very first time I went underwater. It was truly amazing, I felt this sense of complete awe and freedom.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2015 at 01:52 PM ----------

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT IS LURKING OFF THE COAST OF MASS!!! I imagine as this really dark and murky place like you said - can't wait to see the Atlantic Ocean up close!

Yes use the 3mm. I use a 3mm shorty in a 80F pool and I definetely get cold after 30 mins or so (I'm not skinny either). Scuba training in the pool is a lot of floating mid-water without a lot of movement. It's very easy to get chilled like you never would if you were swimming.

I wouldn't wear boots in the pool because they are floaty, which is bothersome. Get some full-foot fins to use in the pool. You sound pretty devoted, so you will enjoy having some good swimming hall fins for practice & future classes. Try using the fins you intend to buy for the class before you buy them, and definetely use the pool to try out open water fins with your scuba gear before you buy these => I and many others didn't do this and as a result had 1st fin sets that drove us nuts (my 1st open water fins were floppy and floaty and difficult to fasten).

If you want to protect your foot from chafing, cotton socks, even footy socks are enough.
If you decide not to use the shorty at least wear a t-shirt; the BCD feels nicer when you have at least a t-shirt covering your torso.

Last edited:
In response to some of the other (very helpful responses) - My dad is a yogi and my brother and I were taught meditation and breathing techniques pretty extensively growing up. I find that control of your breath during snorkeling, swimming, and pretty much every athletic activity is of the utmost importance. I definitely am not a yoga master or anything but I do practice controlled breathing when snorkeling; it's been very helpful during a couple occasions when dealing with currents and squalls, and of course when diving on the reefs. :)

I am definitely going to wear the 3mm based on all the replies - thank you! I have a good rash guard I bought to deal with those awful life vests they make you wear when out on snorkel charters so I will bring that too in case I don't end up needing the suit. My center has a great return policy - I can wear the stuff I bought from them in the pool classes and exchange it if it is uncomfortable so I will experiment with different fins should the ones I have be bothersome in the water. They feel good on, but I'm a little concerned about the spring-backs being a comfort issue though I love the concept. They feel good out of water with and without boots so hopefully they will work out, as the design is great and makes it really easy to get them on and off compared to other fins I've owned/used. My only concern is the hard plastic backs.

Does anyone have differing opinions with regards to the purchase of additional equipment to use in training? Just curious! Thanks everyone!

Olivia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom