Starting Classes Tomorrow - Advice Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I plan on using the 3mm in the pool and also purchasing another suit in the near future, probably 5mm like you said. I love the Virgin Islands and all places tropical so I have no doubt it will be put to good use, but I did buy it assuming I would need another since obviously the New England waters are quite cold as well even in the summer.

I hope the new mask works out - I did have some trouble with a leaky (rental) mask when I tried diving in Vieques, which my instructor also attributed to "smile lines" haha :) The issue with my other mask, that I've had for years, is that its too big for my face. Even though it doesn't leak there is too much air and thus too much compression, so it's always too tight no matter how loose I keep the strap. I've actually gotten bruises on my forehead from it after several days of snorkeling and reef diving! New one is much smaller, feels a million times better but like you said it may not be so great once actually in use. Maybe I will test it in the tub lol

---------- Post added April 7th, 2015 at 02:15 PM ----------

My dive center does allow you to exchange anything you bought if it doesn't work out in the pool, fortunately :)

You should be able to use a mask that "compresses too much" without getting bruises. Just exhale through your nose a tiny bit to relieve some of the compression. If you exhale too much, you can press the mask back to your face (just a little bit!) to "burp" it. Or go through a normal mask clearing exercise.

I am barely more experienced than you - though also many years of snorkeling. But, I believe that would work fine.

The best test I read about for trying a new mask in the store is to flip the strap around to the front of the mask, so it's out of the way. Then stick the mask to your face by just barely it letting it touch your skin and then inhale through your nose just a bit to suck it onto your face. Then hold your breath, let go of the mask, and see if it stays by itself. The add-on to that, from me, is do it with a mouthpiece in your mouth. And, once it's stuck to your face, try making a any facial expressions that might make underwater. E.g. smile, frown, whatever. If you do all that and it stays on, I'd guess it would be fine underwater. Or at least, you gave it the best exam you could short of actually diving with it.

Oh my goodness I've tried everything! Had to get a new one but will definitely be putting it through the tests and see how it goes in the pool. I think just because of the way old one is shaped, the plastic bar part was just always hitting my face.

Olivia-

Welcome to a wonderful wet new world! be careful...SCUBA can be more addictive than crack!! lol

I am an SSI Dive Con...I work at an SSI shop. Maybe a few thoughts.

Gear. Mask snorkle and fins. Get properly fitted. The mask is one of the most important pieces of gear you'll use. If ya can't see than it's really just complicated swimming right?

Snorkle...You have to have one. Thats SSI Standards for O/W classes... I'll leave my personal dive preferances unsaid.:)

Fins. Your in cold water. I suggest a good open heel fin that fits YOU comfortably WITH booties on. Make sense?

Relax...and have fun in class. 80 water is COLD after 2-3 hrs in pool class. Your a lil thing...wear a suit. Trust me on this. I see this in students almost every class. You will get chilled. That affects concentration and learning, not to mention is NO fun.

ASK questions...if your not sure...clear...or uncomfortable with any skillset or knowledge....ASK for clarification. Thats what your there for. Don't feel rushed or "I'll hold up the others". Really. It happens alot. A good Instructor will NOT be offended.

HAVE FUN....HAVE FUN...HAVE FUN!!!!

Did I mention have fun?

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Bubs

Thanks! I plan on using the 3mm in the pool and also purchasing another suit in the near future, probably 5mm like you said. I love the Virgin Islands and all places tropical so I have no doubt it will be put to good use, but I did buy it assuming I would need another since obviously the New England waters are quite cold as well even in the summer.

I dive in Upstate NY, so I know all about the cold waters in the north east. I have a couple suggestions. If you plan to dive a lot in Mass., you might want to ask your instructor if you can do a dry suit class along with your open water class. My dive shop teaches at many local colleges and they include dry suit as part of the class because the open water dives are done in April and May when the water is around 50 degrees. Having a dry suit certification will make diving in the north east much more pleasant and if included with your open water class, your open water dives would be done in the dry suit.

As for purchasing another wet suit, I would personally skip buying a 5mm suit. A 7mm suit would be a better option. I dive a 7mm wet suit in 50 degree water and I am comfortable. I have a very high tolerance for cold though. I just don't consider the difference between a 3mm and 5mm enough to warrant the purchase. You could buy a core warmer for the 3mm and have the same thermal protection as the 5mm.

However, I do know people that dive their dry suits year round. So, if you can get the certification and enjoy diving in the cold waters of New England, a dry suit would be a good investment.

I dive in Upstate NY, so I know all about the cold waters in the north east. I have a couple suggestions. If you plan to dive a lot in Mass., you might want to ask your instructor if you can do a dry suit class along with your open water class. My dive shop teaches at many local colleges and they include dry suit as part of the class because the open water dives are done in April and May when the water is around 50 degrees. Having a dry suit certification will make diving in the north east much more pleasant and if included with your open water class, your open water dives would be done in the dry suit.

+1 to getting trained in a drysuit. I believe that the shop offers a dry suit add on for their OW classes. For me, a drysuit was the best investment that I've made so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

Classes are going great, thanks for asking! I have finished my lectures, which were very informative/helpful, and passed the written exam. I start pool classes on Wednesday and will post an update as to how it's going. :) Everyone I've met so far has been really cool and knowledgeable; I definitely get the feeling they really care about making sure you understand the basics.

All the best - Olivia

Glad things are going well! Enjoy your pool session Wednesday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom