Starting Classes Tomorrow - Advice Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I would use your wetsuit. The worst that can happen is you're too hot and the shop can probably provide you with something else. We use the shorties in 68F pool for a couple of hours, then a hot shower break (hey, it's Canada).
Ears: Of course take doctor's advice on everything, but my guess is you'll be fine. I would assume you have to equalize quite a lot-- and frequently-- to do any free diving that's of significant depth, whereas you can take as long as you need on scuba.

I wouldn't buy equipment for training other than the stuff they tell you to buy--typically fins, booties, mask, snorkel. that stuff will stay with you and anything that fits is typically fine.

After certification, two schools of thought:
1) Rent a lot, see what you like, then buy
2) Buy gear, it's cheaper than renting, anything brand-name will probably work out fine, and it will make you go dive so you can justify the expense, so you'll get the dives in while your classmates decide (maybe) not to dive, in part because of the rental expense.

Can you guess I did 2? I had a classmate who was going to wait til he was ready to buy the "Cadillac" gear. He never did. I bought "Chevy Malibu" gear, still use much of it (regs anyway). He never dived again. I did. Your mileage may vary on this.

Go Terriers!! I'm an old DGE and CLA grad, so you know how long ago that was.

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT IS LURKING OFF THE COAST OF MASS!!! I imagine as this really dark and murky place like you said - can't wait to see the Atlantic Ocean up close!

Sometimes it's not that bad... There are good days when you can see 10'! Just kidding (sort of)... Although last summer seemed to be pretty poor everytime I went out.

Welcome to the world of diving. Remember to have fun!

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT IS LURKING OFF THE COAST OF MASS!!! I imagine as this really dark and murky place like you said - can't wait to see the Atlantic Ocean up close!

Plenty to see up here! Are you taking the class with East Coast Divers? If so, they are a great shop and offer lots of opportunities to dive up here once you get certified!

YES - East Cost Divers! I just finished my first classroom course tonight :) So far, so great!

You sure about that? 50lbs will definitely keep you down...not sure how you got up though.

I am absolutely certain. They put a 25 or 30 lb SeaSoft weight belt on me then added weight to my pockets. I was wearing a ScubaPro Knighthawk BC.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Olivia...

I can say that I bought all my gear during class and wished I would have bought differently later. I started with lesser expensive reg's and computer and a vest type BC. I have since bought new reg's - ScubaPro Mk25/S600, a back plate & wing - love the rear inflate setup, and a wrist mounted Galileo Luna computer. I should have bought all of this right from the beginning that way I didn't buy twice. Buying high end gear will cost more up front but will save you money in the future. I have used Atomic reg's and like them equally as well, I just happened to get a really good deal on the Mk25/S600 sets I bought. I won't try to talk you into a BP&W but I will say that if you try a back inflate BC make sure your instructor teaches you the right way to dive it. My instructor did not and that was why I bought the vest style BC and later regretted it. One other thing, if you are diving 45° F - 55° F waters I would suggest considering a drysuit right up front rather than buying a 7mm Farmer Jane wetsuit. I ended going dry not too long after getting certified and again wished I would have done it up front. IMO, it was easier to learn my dry suit than my wet suit.

I pretty much chose them because they have excellent reviews on Yelp and were super helpful every time I called the shop, and when I went in for gear fitting. I also happen to live pretty close to the shop so that doesn't hurt either. SSI vs. PADI didn't seem to matter very much since from what I understand the certifications are pretty much interchangeable (I could switch to PADI in the future if I wanted to for some reason).

The class tonight was excellent, very informative and it feels great to get started although I can't wait to get into the pool! Diving in New England is definitely going to be a new and interesting experience. It will be fascinating to see what's been living next door all this time :)

---------- Post added April 7th, 2015 at 01:10 AM ----------

Agreed - I always tend to go for the higher end stuff anyways, especially with something like this where you are so dependent on the proper function of the equipment. I don't mind making the investment but also need to know what works first.

Reactions: Tug
I pretty much chose them because they have excellent reviews on Yelp and were super helpful every time I called the shop, and when I went in for gear fitting. I also happen to live pretty close to the shop so that doesn't hurt either. SSI vs. PADI didn't seem to matter very much since from what I understand the certifications are pretty much interchangeable (I could switch to PADI in the future if I wanted to for some reason).

The class tonight was excellent, very informative and it feels great to get started although I can't wait to get into the pool! Diving in New England is definitely going to be a new and interesting experience. It will be fascinating to see what's been living next door all this time :)

Glad you enjoyed the class tonight!

Once you get certified, I'd recommend checking out Boston Scuba. They run a great charter boat out of East Boston (and a short walk from Maverick on the blue line)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!!!

Two things:

Just FYI, your 3mm may not be enough for the water in Hawaii this summer. You said you get cold easily and the water there tops out around 80F, I think, at the warmest time of year, and that depends on exactly where you go. Other places never get that warm. And I think that's surface temperature. At recreational depths, it can be a couple of degrees cooler, I think.

Since you said you get cold easily, if it's not too late, and if your 3mm suit is brand new, you might even consider trying to exchange it for a 5mm. At your size, the weight difference between the two (for airline travel purposes) is pretty negligible.

Also, be aware that a new mask that fits great in the store, may or may not "work" for you when you get in the pool and stick a regulator in your mouth. I tried on a BUNCH of masks before selecting my first one. My LDS has a HUGE selection. I picked the one that really felt and fit the best. It also happened to be one of the most expensive they carry. I used all the little tests that I read about here on SB to verify that it fit well. It leaked every time I got in the water with it. I thought it was just having the stubble of a mustache. Then I dove a buddy's mask and it didn't leak at all. That's when I realized that putting a reg in my mouth changed the shape of my face just a bit and created a "smile" line or something that was causing my mask to leak.

If nothing else, trying putting your snorkel mouthpiece in and then checking your mask to see if it still gets a good seal on your face, before you are really committed financially to the mask you picked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom