Staying in PDC - Help with diving in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are 2 adults staying in PDC for a week in Oct and would like to venture over to Coz to dive at least once (maybe twice, depending how AWESOME it is!).

Can someone walk me through everything (where do I get the ferry in PDC, what is the ferry schedule, how long does it take to get to coz, cost of the ferry, how do I get from the ferry to the dive boat and most importantly which dive company do you recommend?)

thanks!!

I absolutely love playa del carmen. I used to stay there quite a bit. The ferry to cozumel is at jaurez and I think 1st or 2nd. You can't miss it and it runs all day long. It is about a 30-45 minute ride. Can't help with dive centers because we used to know people who lived there and we dove with them but it is absolutely beautiful. If you get a chance make sure you visit the cenotes.

We are 2 adults staying in PDC for a week in Oct and would like to venture over to Coz to dive at least once (maybe twice, depending how AWESOME it is!).

Can someone walk me through everything (where do I get the ferry in PDC, what is the ferry schedule, how long does it take to get to coz, cost of the ferry, how do I get from the ferry to the dive boat and most importantly which dive company do you recommend?)

thanks!!

Hi littleguppie:

How lucky you are to be going to PDC in Oct. with a dive trip over to Coz! You'll LOVE the drift diving in Coz and the clear, warm water and interesting critters, formations, etc. The ferry to Coz is located at the ferry terminal and pier in downtown PDC. You can Google "Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel ferry schedule"and you'll find the times the ferry leaves PDC and Coz. The ride is about 45 minutes and drops you off right in downtown. Only pay for a one-way trip when leaving PDC. You can pay for the return ferry in Coz. If you do a round-trip and miss the returning ferry, you don't get your money back. In April the fare was $12 US one-way. If you are prone to seasickness and the seas are rough that day, you might want to take some kind of medication (Bonine is favorite).

Most dive OPs won't pick you up at the ferry terminal in Coz because of the taxi driver union issues. You'll need to get a taxi from the terminal to whomever you dive with. As many people who post on the Board state, there are many great dive OPs in Coz. By reading information on ScubaBoard, you'll be able to make a good decision. When I made plans for our upcoming November trip to Coz, I read a lot of posts on ScubaBoard and Trip Advisor before making my decision to stay with and dive with Blue Angel Dive Resort. Since I've not used them before, I can't tell you anything more than what you'll find in your research.

Make sure to email the dive shop prior to leaving on your trip to find out particulars that you might not have found on the Board or on the OPs website. And, of course, don't forget your DAN insurance!

Have a fabulous trip!

No one can get a REAL Cozumel dive experience with just one day, but the bag drag thing from the mainland is pretty ugly. Some dive OPs, including my own have a policy of providing a free night lodging, on a space available basis, for those that want to get two days of diving in Cozumel. October is a slow month so you may be in luck, just bring your tooth brush and swim suit and dive two glorious days in Cozumel. Our web page has details.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last edited:
I'll try and answer your questions in the order you asked them. I don't know where you are staying in PDC but if you are in town, the ferry is right in town and you just need walk to the terminal. If you are staying at a resort out of town, then you'll need to take a taxi. There are 2 ferry companies and they alternate their routes monthly, so it's hard to say for sure what the schedule is. But the first ferry generally leaves PDC around 6 or 6:30 a.m. Check it out when you get there and ask. Just show up and buy a ticket from the first ferry that is about to leave. Ferry ride is 45 minutes, give or take and the cost is, as I recall, about $10 US each way. The ferry will drop you off in downtown Cozumel. I'd suggest you book with one of the ops that picks up IN TOWN to save the time and cost of taking a taxi to caleta (the harbour south of town) which is about a 10 or so minute taxi ride (and where most boats dock). There are scads of great ops in Coz. Ones that I know for sure pick up at the downtown piers include Living Underwater (who I dive with), Blue XTSea, Aqua Safari and Aldora. There are probably others and people who dive with them will chime in, no doubt. You will need to set this up in advance with the op since their normal departure MAY be earlier than your ferry arrival. If you don't think you can do the early ferry departure from PDC, there are other ops that have a later morning departure (I'm thinking Blue Angel, which has a boat that goes out around 10 a.m.)but you may well need to hire a taxi and make your way to their op south of town. Most of these ops have web sites and you can inquire with them directly about what they will and will not do for you to deal with your schedule. October is a slow month so I expect they may be a bit more willing to accommodate than in their busy periods.

thanks!!

No one can get a REAL Cozumel dive experience with just one day, but the bag drag thing from the mainland is pretty ugly. Some dive OPs, including my own have a policy of providing a free night lodging, on a space available basis, for those that want to get two days of diving in Cozumel. October is a slow month so you may be in luck, just bring your tooth brush and swim suit and dive two glorious days in Cozumel. Our web page has details.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
I agree: two days on Coz is really a good idea and if they can throw in a free room maybe. :thumb: I've not dived with Aldora yet and never been up to their property but heard nothing but good about them.

Someone else going in October has they same questions. Might check out that thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/397206-looking-some-tips-newbie-divers-our-honeymoon.html#post6061839

FWIW, either ferry is ~$13usd each way, per person.

A few resources you might find useful:
Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico
ULTRAMAR
Mxico Waterjets - Fery Cozumel-Playa del Carmen, Playa del Carmen Ferry-Cozumel

Again, 2 days in Coz would be ideal if you can stay the night. Dave at Aldora is a class act providing a place to stay at no cost to get the full experience. Way to go Dave! Forget doing the "bag drag" multiple days. PDC has a lot of fine diving to whet your appetite for a week.

Thanks so much for the wonderfully detailed information. I'm going to start researching now. If we decide we do not want to stay the night on Coz and just want 1 day of diving, are you guys rec'd that I stay and dive off PDC? When others asked this question on TripAdvisor it seemed most people said dive Coz!!

Thanks again!!!

...are you guys rec'd that I stay and dive off PDC?
:confused: Huh?

One day diving Coz is a nice start. Two days is a better intro.

Sorry to confuse. I know 2 days in Coz is better than 1, but I was asking if we decide we only want to do one day of diving, than is it worth the hassle to trek over to Coz or should we just dive PDC? I just don't think we are going to want to give up a night and 2 days in PDC as we have other activites planned and only are there for 6 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom