Suggestions for 10 days on Big Pine Key in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cordoer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My parents and I are visiting a family friend on Big Pine Key from April 2-12.

My father (in his 60s) and I are both Rescue certified. We've each got something like 60-80 dives mostly in the USVI, plus some in Cozumel, New Caledonia, Oahu, etc. We live in the Pacific Northwest, so we only get to dive when we're on vacation, 1-2 trips per year, but we're competent and low-maintenance. I'm an amateur uw photographer (passionate but low-budget). My mother is a snorkeler.

I've read some other ScubaBoard threads, and some travel books, but nothing beats current advice from other divers. I'm looking for tips on best dives for this time of year, what shop to use, and information about snorkeling (whether on the dive trips or separately). My father is planning on diving 4 days. I'd like to go out a few additional days, if I can go without bringing my own buddy; is that feasible in the Keys?

I think we'll take day trips to Key West and to the Everglades (on the way back to Miami). I find that the information available is sometimes limited because it doesn't take seasonal factors into account, so I would appreciate any advice (and in particular warnings) people are willing to share.

Thanks,

Emily

I've dived with Tilden's which is just over the 7 mile bridge in Marathon. The shop is located on the Gulf side, right next door to the Black Fin Resort. They will also do combo snorkel/dive trips. As far as going solo, I don't think anyone will allow that but they will match you up with a buddy on board.

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the buddy issue, I definitely don't want to dive alone. I just wasn't sure if I should assume that they would match me up with someone. I've read that in the Keys some charters have the crew wait on the boat unless you pay separately to hire a guide. I've never been out on a charter that sent the customers off to dive on their own, so if there were no other singles I've always had the divemaster for a buddy. If the divemaster doesn't dive, that wouldn't work.

Emily

Emily: most dive ops in the Keys don't send down a DM with the divers, but a few do. This thread discusses hooking up with a buddy.... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/413907-key-largo-march-no-buddy.html

If you have time to drive down to Key West, I think the Vandenberg is worth diving at least once. On the way to Marathon and Big Pine Key, you might think about stopping in Key Largo to dive for a day: there are some fantastic dive sites and operators in the area. (I've used Conch Republic, Silent World and Quiescence). I've tried to go out with Tilden's in Marathon twice, but bad weather cancelled the trips: I've always heard good things about that particular operator. Enjoy your trip.

Thunderbolt wreck with Capt Hook's or Tilden's in Marathon
Eagle wreck with Key Dives in Islamorada
Vandenberg wreck with Subtropic in Key West
Speigel Grove and Duane wreck with several great shops in Key Largo
and the wife and I are looking forward to the Busch wreck with Looe Key Dive in Big Pine
Check out the FL Keys Wreck Trek
Florida Keys Diving & Snorkeling - Monroe County Florida Keys Official Tourism Website
Enjoy ALL of your diving down here, you luck devil!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom