Suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson:
I think they don't have fresh water showers.

true... no fresh water... we had to go all the way to Maya to get freshwater. good thing we brought our boat with us. We travelled by boat from Esperanza, Masbate to Malapascua complete with 2 compressors, 30 tanks, food and lots of freshwater. we didnt buy the package in Malapascua.

clgsamson:
I thought the tubbataha dive window (liveaboards sked) is only mid-march to mid-june; September? man your stomach may be made of steel!

dont know about the sked, just going with the group. is it that bad at this time of the year?

partridge:
Did they have electricity all the time? What about hot water? running water 24 hours?

Have not dove Malapascua to date because of this very reason. My wife is my buddy and she is a bit picky about airconditioning and running hot water

they have 24 hour electricity in Malapascua Exotic Resort, airconditioning but i dont know about the freshwater. i didnt check. we stayed on the other resort which only had 6 hours of electricity and no freshwater. The locals also said that by next year some private company will be putting a desalination facility. so if you're still planning to dive Malapascua do it next year. Freshwater's the only problem in Malapascua. The diving's great, friendly locals, great beach, clear water, good accomodation.

Yikes no fresh water? glad I had to cancel my plans for a malapascua trip this month...

How long is the boat ride from Maya? What time does the morning dive leave to see the threshers?

My wifes family has a farm in Bogo. We almost always spend a few nights there when we go to Cebu. Next trip is Christmas break. I want to just run over and do the dives and head back to the city at night.

Caloy,

I really think Anilao and PG are more than just different - I stand by my statement that Anilao, on the whole, has better diving.

In PG, Canyons dropping over to fishbowl is truly a great dive - better for the most part than any one dive that Anilao has to offer (though Bagong Bahura is spectacular when it's 'diveable'). But I think the rest of diving in PG really isn't anything too special compared to Anilao. The coral cover and diversity of small critters are better in Anilao, there is certainly as large a variety of conditions (walls, drift, slopes, muck swim-throughs, cave, etc) and even though PG likes to claim Verde island as 'theirs' it is certainly accessible from Anilao, and actually a cheaper option for a group of Anilao divers.

I admit you are more likely to see 'big fish' in PG and that the nightlife, of all sorts :wink: , has a lot more options that Anilao. Actually, one of my favorite spots in PG isn't so commonly visited - Hibo over at white beach. A really great wall but the shops in Sabang seem reluctant to make the trip over when they can make just as much money shuttling group after group to the dive sites 15 mins from Sabang.

In Anilao, you call the shots with your boatman as long as you are willing to pay for the trip. In PG they are getting$15 - 20 per trip no matter where they go, so it's cheaper and easier to do the same thing over and over. A different mindset and I prefer the more 'do it yourself' attitude in Anilao.

These opinions are after about 10 trips to PG and more like 30 or more weekends in Anilao so, while i'm no expert on either, i've had a good chance to see the best both have to offer i think.

Just my .02 centavos :)

there you are, as different as it can be. Price, shops, diversity and boatmen. Don't get me wrong bro, I love Anilao. Your 2 cents worth is top dollar to me.

Haven't done "new bahura" yet; strong current prevents entry even with an anchor line. Tell us how you did it and what it looks like.

have done both and will do it again!

in anilao i stayed with diveandtreck. beautyful layed back resort and excellent diving just in front of the resort (marine sanctary). i find the biodiversity much more than in pg.

it also always nice to watch the sunset from the resort. its a good excuse for an other sm!

transfer to pg. renting a banka is just perfect. however i would not recommend to dive verde island on the transfertrip. you actually pass pg on the way to verde.

do verde out of pg. i would rather stop on chicken and fether island. this is on the way to pg. sites to see are definitely hot springs and the pinacle on the other end of the island. after doing your dives there it takes maybe another 40+ min. to pg.

on pg you have various possibilities for lodging. if you want to be close to nightlife, sabang beach is your place. a little more quiet? go to small lalaguna. i stayed at el galleon with asia-divers (they have good package deals) pg has also a wide variety of divesites. however its most about critters and small stuff. you can also do some deep dives in the canyons. from pg a trip to verde island is a must. approx. 40 to 50 min. boats ride by calm seas.

verde and chicken and fether islands i quote personally as the best dive spots there.

sabang has lots of restaurants and bars. if you need a change after diving it is certainly the place to go (would quote nightlife better than boracay)

boracay

although many people quote diving there not as good. one of my most favorable dives in my life is yapak I and II. you just drop into the water and decent in the blue down to about 100ft. al of a sudden the reef will show. one of my best experiences i had so far! but remember this is a deep one! but there is always a chance to see thunas and sharks.

dived also:
palau
yap
maldives
red sea
florida
puerto galera
anilao
visayas (alona beach)

in generally boracay ist oriented to the west (white beach). during this time of the year most resorts have put up shelters against the strong winds which might occur.

i stayed at niggi niggi two, in a cabin probalbly closest to the shore on the whole beach (station 1). dived with boracay safari divers which are very closed to the accommodation.

this time of the year the island is not busy at all. for diving (weather permitting) i would go to boracay. night life defenitely can not compare with pg at least in the off season.

an alternative to boracay in typhoon-season might be the visayas.

enjoy your trip - need more infos? just let me know

Great suggestions. By the suggestions here, I will probably end up doing both anilao and PG as I have more time to spend on diving in this upcoming trip. Just out of curiosity, what does bahura mean? It's not the same as basura, is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom