Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Suunto Vyper (76 dives) and Gecco for back-up. The alarms are a bit quiet on these models too. I just hold the computer to my ear if I'm not sure. However, I wouldn't trade them for another brand. The owner and instructer at my dive shop has been diving with a Cobra for years and loves it.

I bought a cobra from divetank. The guy was super cool, I must have picked his brain for hours, and he called me back on his dime over and over again. Seems to be a happy fellow.

I have about 5 dives on it and havent quite got it down yet. Darn thing keeps beeping at me!

I usually dive two 80's at 75 to 90 feet with an hour and a half SI, and am usually air limited.

I have a Cobra and I love it. It is awfully conservative though. Compared to the other computers out there it's really easy to use and comfortable to hold. I was thinking about buying the Aeris AI, but I went with the Suunto. I don't know why there's a lot of negative feedback on these boards about it because I've had it for a few years without a single hiccup. You'll love it.

Used my cobra again this weekend on two dives with eanx36, 85 feet, followed the safety stop countdowns, and overall had about a total of ten more minutes of bottom time combined over both dive than as computed with the padi nitrox 36 RDP tables. The dive master had one also, and this was a super macho tekki dude, he said it works fine for him.

So it worked pretty good on those dives.

Have had 17 dives since buying a Cobra earlier this summer - I love it and have had no problems EXCEPT for not being able to hear the alarms under water (When fellow divers have Uwatecs you hear nothing but beeps!).

Finally got to try mine out over this past weekend and I love it! Did a couple fairly deep dives (around 120) on the "new and improved" USS Spiegal Grove and it worked superbly. Did the first dive set on the second level of conservatism, then backed it off to the default setting. The alarms are a bit hard to hear like a lot have noticed. I also dive with an old Citizen Aqualand as backup and it was way louder, but when I was listening for the alarms on the Cobra, they were noticibly different sounding. Nice to know which gizmo is actually beeping at any time. Anyway, it wasn't too conservive for me, after all, my wild and crazy diving days are pretty much over and I have a family to consider. All in all, I like it much better than my old TRAC, which it replaced. By the way, I got mine from Divetank also and have nothing but praise to heap upon them. I spoke at length with Rick (the owner) and as busy as he must have been, he answered all of my questions and we even swapped dive stories fro awhile. It came fully accessorized with the swivel and compass, a UK hardcase, spare protective cover and even a spare battery. All for $599 (oh, and free shipping too!). I had the Aqua Lung $200 rebate that I tried to use at my LDS, but he would only quote me the MSRP, which was like $850 and didn't include the swivel and compass, which would have added $150 to the price. So I think I saved around $200. I do support my LDS (more than one, in fact) with a lot of purchases, tank fills, rentals, and ongoing certifications, but $200 is $200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom