Suunto D6, thoughts please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwal001

Reaction score
Hi, thinking about getting the D6 for work. Is anyone using this computer? Is the battery user replaceable? what do you thinking about this model?
thanx
J

I took a look at this as I thought having the integrated compass would be nice. But in the end I did not like the interface and did not like having to push buttons on the sides to get it to switch modes. Also when in compass mode you have keep switching after a 1 minute. So I bought a Vytec DS instead - the interface and down press for the buttons is much nicer. I use an old fashioned compass.

Silly's got it right, I love my d9, but it has some things I wish I could change. The d6 is just a d9 without the integrated air. The compass would work in warm clear water, but not the mud pits I frequent. The only time I use it is when I'm driving. If you want a comp you just pretty much wear like a watch all the time that just happens to be an awesome computer, then go for it. You can forget about it until you need it underwater. I got the D9 because I wanted a clean travel system and the integrated air lets me get away with only 2 hoses on my 1st stage. The battery isn't user replaceable.

Maybe if you wish to have a great wrist computer without the compass, but wit user replaceable batts...try the Oceanic VT3 Pro. I've dove with an owner of the D9 and he stated the compass is nice, but not that great of a feature. If you do a lot of navigation, the purchase might be worth it.

I had a feeling the compass was more of a gimmick, while diving i would still have my old computer (suunto) and compass console as a back up, but work wants me to get a wrist computer and they are willing to get suunto, which i have used for the last 10 years. I have been thinking about the Vytec, but would like a watch i can wear doing other jobs while outdoors so i wanted some opinons on the D6.

I have used my D6 for about thirty dives. Just for air integration, I could not see spending the amount for the D9. I love the D6. On a man, it definitely passes as a sports watch. On me, it's a little big. It's easy to work and easy to read. By now you should be able to get one that is software upgraded, so the recall should not affect you. I used the ScubaPro Extender previously and I like the Suunto alot better. Good Luck.

H- the IslandCowgirl

I've logged over 250 dives on my D6 now, and I really like it. I had a Stinger prior to this for four years, and it was a good computer too. If you are after a wrist-watch-style dive computer, then you can't go wrong with either the Stinger or the D6. The compass does work, but is a bit of a faff, but I bought the D6 for the looks, and the two-gas abilities, which is great for accelerated deco. You have to send it away for a battery replacement, though.

Mark

I am seriously thinking about getting the D6. I am currently getting advanced certified and have done 23 dives so far. I am looking for something that will serve as an everyday watch/dive computer. I am going to be getting nitrox certified later this fall so the D6 looked good because it has nitrox capability. I am planning on doing a moderate amount of diving and looking for something that will last me for years to come. Does everyone think that this is a good choice?

A Stinger or a D6 would do you fine. I think both are fine-looking watches (I wore/wear mine as a daily watch) and they both do full deco and nitrox. The D6 has the two-gas capability and, while you might not be contemplating doing accelerated deco at the moment, it might be something you do down the line, and the D6 can grow with you, whereas the Stinger can only do a single nitrox mix. Mind you, as the D6 is the new computer in the Suunto line-up, I bet you could get a cracking deal on a Stinger at the moment!

There are other watch-style computers out there, like the Scubapro Extender, etc, but personally I don't think they are a patch on the looks and features of the Suuntos.

Mark

I just strapped on my new D6...looks ok, not the prettest of watches, however the menue's are all pretty straight forward and easy to navigate and the compass seems to work ok, if not a bit touchy and slow to react sometimes...will hopefully get it wet next week!
I love new toys :D

Back
Top Bottom