suunto online dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yknot:
Per Aqualung US, the only official distributor of Suunto dive computers in the US, warranties are only valid when the product is purchase from an authorized retailer, all of whom are prohibited from selling online. Also prohibit any other mail order transactions. This means face to face over the counter only. Your choices are:
1) After finding lowest price, say from LP, see if your LDS will match it. Some will, some won't.
2) Buy from a European internet store like www.scubastore.com. Just be prepared to send it back to Spain if you need service.
3) Buy from a manufacturer that allows internet sales and competitive pricing (this eliminates Suunto and Uwatec in the US). Make sure too that you send a complaint to the FTC and your state's attorney general. Practices that companies like Aqualung engage in are illegal (price fixing, warranty law violations, etc) but aren't going to change unless enough people complain.

I heartily vote for option # 3!!

Now that I have placed an order with divetank.net, I feel comfortable giving them my highest recommendation. I placed my order on September 10th (last Friday), and received it today, September 13th (a Monday). And that is the shipping they included for free. Everything arrived as ordered, complete with warranty registration cards with appropriate retailer stamps. All questions were answered both on the phone and by email (in a timely manner). I won't hesitate to do business with divetank.net again in the future.

I purchased two each of: Vytec w/ transmitter, SK-7 compass, compass retractor, CB-One with SPG (for backup). Prices on each item were lower than LP, so you can do the math on how much lower than my LDS the prices were. Extras like spare batteries for everything, spare screen protectors, UK cases, PC interface kit, and shipping were included for free.

I doubt a better deal could be found anywhere else.

Once you add in the fact that everything still has full manufacturer's warranty and free battery replacement for life from divetank.net, not to mention the great service. . . well, I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

beaudawg:
Once you add in the fact that everything still has full manufacturer's warranty and free battery replacement for life from divetank.net, not to mention the great service. . . well, I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

For what it's worth, divetank CANNOT offer a manufacturer's warranty. I sent an e-mail yesterday asking for prices on some Suunto products. The e-mail reply from divetank was that Suunto doesn't allow internet sales and that I need to call their toll-free number and speak to their sales dept. in order to get pricing. This is absolute BS. Suunto doesn't prohibit internet sales- it's their distributor, Aqualung, that does. The Suunto equip. web site that deals with their non-diving wrist computers even has links to authorized internet retailers. The following is directly from the Aqualung/Canada affiliate web site (appears to be the same as US policy):

"Beware of any retailer that offers to sell and ship our life supporting products by mail, for orders placed by phone or the Internet. These retailers are NOT authorized Aqua Lung Dealers. All authorized Aqua Lung Dealers must execute a Dealer Agreement that does not allow the sale of Aqua Lung products except "in-store." Many Aqua Lung dealers advertise on the Internet, but they are not allowed to deliver our products other than "over-the counter." This is our assurance that you will receive the proper pre-sale, point-of-sale, and post-sale assistance, and that only trained and certified divers will use our products. If you obtain our product from one of these retailers, your warranty is therefore not valid and we cannot offer you the assurances of quality and satisfaction afforded by the Aqua Lung Warranty Program. If you would like to verify whether or not a retailer is an authorized Aqua Lung Dealer, please call: (760) 597-5000."

I have purchased brand new Aqualung regs off ebay that came with a warranty card. Unfortunatly, the warranty isn't considered to be valid, card or no card. If divetank's prices are really good that's great. Just bear in mind that the warranty you are being offered is inhouse and only as sound as the company offering it.

The Suunto website lists Vast Ventures Inc. (divetank's parent company) as an authorized dealer. The warranty card is genuine, and already has the required retailer stamp and information on it. I'm sending it in, and that works for me.

If, at the end of the day, Suunto won't cover it, divetank will, which is far more important to me, since divetank can get items to me in less than two days, and seems to always have a large inventory. My LDS, on the other hand, typically does not have Vytecs in stock, and would just ship a unit back to Suunto (Aqualung) for service, leaving me without a computer for at least a couple weeks. My LDS doesn't deserve $$$ for something they can't do (service the unit, provide replacement).

Rich at divetank also specifically stated the warranty from Suunto was valid. Their website also states under "return & repair policies", "2 Year Manufacturer's Defect Warranty", with a third year picked up by divetank. Let's see how many LDS's offer an additional year of warranty on a part they can't even service.

Also, it would be interesting to find out how long Aqualung has been the NA distributor for Suunto. It is possible Vast Ventures had a distributorship with Suunto prior to the Aqualung deal and was grandfathered in. This is purely speculation on my part.

In the end. . . yes, the prices really are that good. Considering I could have purchased THREE Vytecs at divetank for what my LDS would charge for TWO. Their service is also phenomenal and shipping is right quick. What more could a person ask for?

beaudawg:
The Suunto website lists Vast Ventures Inc. (divetank's parent company) as an authorized dealer. The warranty card is genuine, and already has the required retailer stamp and information on it. I'm sending it in, and that works for me.

If, at the end of the day, Suunto won't cover it, divetank will, which is far more important to me, since divetank can get items to me in less than two days, and seems to always have a large inventory. My LDS, on the other hand, typically does not have Vytecs in stock, and would just ship a unit back to Suunto (Aqualung) for service, leaving me without a computer for at least a couple weeks. My LDS doesn't deserve $$$ for something they can't do (service the unit, provide replacement).

Rich at divetank also specifically stated the warranty from Suunto was valid. Their website also states under "return & repair policies", "2 Year Manufacturer's Defect Warranty", with a third year picked up by divetank. Let's see how many LDS's offer an additional year of warranty on a part they can't even service.

Also, it would be interesting to find out how long Aqualung has been the NA distributor for Suunto. It is possible Vast Ventures had a distributorship with Suunto prior to the Aqualung deal and was grandfathered in. This is purely speculation on my part.

In the end. . . yes, the prices really are that good. Considering I could have purchased THREE Vytecs at divetank for what my LDS would charge for TWO. Their service is also phenomenal and shipping is right quick. What more could a person ask for?

Just out of curiousity, where is your warranty card going? While trying to follow the money with Suunto dive computers, I found the following: Suunto's Canadian distributor and service provider is Fitz-Wright Co. Ltd. Additionally, Fitz-Wright is owned by Suunto, which is in turn owned by the Amer group (also own Wilson sporting goods). It's almost like you bought your stuff factory direct. What really upsets me about all of this is that Suunto doesn't (per their web site) offer an international warranty. Instead they defer to their local distributor. I also don't see anywhere that Suunto prohibits online or mail order sales, just Aqualung in the US. Bottom line is that your gear from divetank may have a valid warranty, it's just not good in the US, only Canada. I did also speak to Rick at divetank. Their prices sound very good on some products but I don't like the way business has to be conducted "in secret".

yknot:
Just out of curiousity, where is your warranty card going? While trying to follow the money with Suunto dive computers, I found the following: Suunto's Canadian distributor and service provider is Fitz-Wright Co. Ltd. Additionally, Fitz-Wright is owned by Suunto, which is in turn owned by the Amer group (also own Wilson sporting goods). It's almost like you bought your stuff factory direct. What really upsets me about all of this is that Suunto doesn't (per their web site) offer an international warranty. Instead they defer to their local distributor. I also don't see anywhere that Suunto prohibits online or mail order sales, just Aqualung in the US. Bottom line is that your gear from divetank may have a valid warranty, it's just not good in the US, only Canada. I did also speak to Rick at divetank. Their prices sound very good on some products but I don't like the way business has to be conducted "in secret".

Good find on the Suunto warranty trail. Yes, my warranty card will be going to Fitz-Wright. If that warranty is only good in Canada and I have to ship something back to them, no big deal, they are close enough to me (I'm in Oregon, they're in BC), that shipping is super quick between us. In the end, I believe they can offer faster service than my local LDS on non-servicable items like computers.

Additionally, I would say buying this way shows Aqualung how things should be done. Disallowing internet/mail-order sales is myopic, and just hurts US dive shops that have to conform or lose their distributorship. When I see business practices I don't like, I don't support the businesses that practice them. This is one of those cases.

As far as conducting business "in secret." That wasn't a big deal for me. I typically call internet mail-order shops to place my order anyway, because I like to know there is a real live person on the other end of the transaction. That, or maybe I just don't trust the internet :wink:

In the end, this should quell some of the "grey market = not safe" arguments that sprout up from time to time on this (and other) boards.

Vote with dollars.

I've bought three computers from divetank ( 2 cobras, 1 mosquito), no problems either. I spoke to Rick and he assured me that the warranty was valid. I was impressed by quick the shipment and by divetanks lifetime battery replacement! My local LDS doesn't offer me that. I will continue purchasing from them as long as their deals are better $$$$ for me.

RJE634 is correct... Suunto is distrubuted in the US by Aqua Lung. They do not authorize these products to be sold via internet or phone. I bought a Stinger 2 years ago from SimplyScuba.com in the UK and got a great deal... $360 U.S. I knew that Aqua Lung wouldn't honor the warranty but the price was so good, I didn't care.
strangely, they have raised the price now to prices almost as high as local retailers. I wish I would have bought 2 of them back then!!!

Back
Top Bottom