suunto online dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dayang:
actually i have not brought it yet. Was asking around about it. seems a pretty good price. but i was thinking of getting a mosqitoe to save some money.

can't rem the name of the company . will get back once the owner mails me more details.

Its in Singapore though

That sounds very cheap for a Stinger.... If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

ekiledjian:
I too am in Canada and learned of a company called http://www.divetank.net/

They can ship from the US or Canada and seem to offer competitive prices. I have not ordered from them yet but am considering it.

Let me know what happens,

Ed :crafty:
Canada

Interesting to note the whois lookup on divetank.net returns information for a company called Vast Ventures (yes, I know it is on the divetank.net web page), which just so happens to be based in Burnaby, BC, Canada:

Vast Ventures Inc
56644 Lougheed hwy
Burnaby, BC v3j7w2
CA

Might be how they get around some of the online retailer/authorized dealer issues.

ekiledjian:
I just ordered a Stinger and was told that they ARE a Suunto authorised reseller. They seem to be one of the largest resellers in North America. They do not list prices on the web due to Suunto policies but have a promotion right now where for 599US$ shipped you get the watch, metal case AND the Suunto Dive Manager PC kit.

http://www.divetank.net

AFAIK, it isn't Suunto's policy that prohibits internet sales and advertising. It's Aqualung. There are over a dozen authorized internet sources for Suunto's outdoor wrist computers, such as used for climbing and hiking. They even have links on the Suunto web site. The problem is with Suunto dive computers. They are exclusively distributed thru Aqualung in North America. In truth, Divetank well may be an authorized Suunto reseller- just not for dive computers with a manufacturers warranty. Why would they be offering an inhouse warranty if they were an authorized dive computer retailer? Specifically, Aqualung prohibits ANY mail order sales of their product line by their dealers, whether internet or catalog based. The Stinger may be an exception for Suunto because it could also be marketed as a watch. I have seen the Stinger only sold thru other authorized Suunto dealers.

Why would you want to save a few bucks to 1) forgo the warranty (see other posts on returns to Suunto) 2) take a chance with a gray market item in which you'll be relying on to calculate your dive/no deco time. (as I'm sure you, like everyone is backing it up with a watch and tables or another computer) :)
3) not support your LDS
From experience Suunto/Aqualung is great in the US for repair/replace if under warranty, if not good luck.

Chris

scubachris:
Why would you want to save a few bucks to 1) forgo the warranty (see other posts on returns to Suunto) 2) take a chance with a gray market item in which you'll be relying on to calculate your dive/no deco time. (as I'm sure you, like everyone is backing it up with a watch and tables or another computer) :)
3) not support your LDS
From experience Suunto/Aqualung is great in the US for repair/replace if under warranty, if not good luck.

Chris

First, when did a $300 diff. between net and LDS become a "few" dollars?
1) The no warranty issue is a matter of individual experience and need anyway. The only reason that there is no warranty is that the distributor, not manufacurer, has decided so. Bottom line- it may take time but these selective warranty practices will be challanged eventually. They are anti-competetive in nature and similar practices have been ruled illegal in other industries.
2) Product may or may not be gray market. Could be excess stock from a LDS that the owner is selling on ebay. Either way, do you have some factual evidence that scuba gear, Suunto dive computers in particular, obtained from sources other than a LDS, are more prone to failure, or just the same old rant?
3) You can support your LDS all you want. Does this support also extend to your corner 7-11, hardware store, Chevy dealer, etc? I try and support businesses of all sorts that supply the correct mix of price and service. Personally, I don't see anything significant being offered on a lot of items to justify a 100% mark-up at a LDS.

Well, yknot, thanks for the flame.
1)No $300 is not a few dollars. Whether the warranty issue in illegal or not is not an issue today for someone buy the questioned Suunto dive computer. Today Aqualung US doesn't honor warranty unless the purchase is directly from a dealer.
2)Perhaps the smile was lost when you read it.
3) I agree, so go talk to you LDS and see what they will do. Perhaps if you take a class with they you get a discount on equipment. Improve your diving and get a better buy at the same time.

After talking to Richard from divetank.net today, I have to say, he is great to speak with on the phone. Very informative and helpful. Just as whois reported, divetank.net is located in BC, Canada (I had to ask after I heard his Canadian accent) and based on Richard's information they are an authorized Suunto dealer, meaning full manufacturers warranty with warranty card and ability to register with Suunto (I asked him about this). LDS prices aren't even close to what divetank.net offers, even with a history with my LDS (training, gear purchases, internation trip coming up, etc.).

The way I look at it, an LDS can't do a thing with a dive computer anyway. They are simply a waypoint to ship it back to the manufacturer for work. To me (and many others), taking care of shipping a unit simply isn't worth the 75-100% markup an LDS demands. Now regs on the other hand. . . at least the LDS can maintain/repair them in house, which is at least worth SOMETHING.

The biggest reason LDS's can't compete on price is because they choose not to. They don't offer the deals that lead to moving significant amounts of inventory (because they "have their hands tied"). Since they don't sell a lot, they don't order in quantity, meaning they pay more per unit, plus have to amortize more shipping cost per unit as a result. It's a discouraging trend, but it doesn't mean I (or anybody else) should work more hours to afford the exact same gear. This is a simple truth of a free market society.

scubachris:
Well, yknot, thanks for the flame.
1)No $300 is not a few dollars. Whether the warranty issue in illegal or not is not an issue today for someone buy the questioned Suunto dive computer. Today Aqualung US doesn't honor warranty unless the purchase is directly from a dealer.
2)Perhaps the smile was lost when you read it.
3) I agree, so go talk to you LDS and see what they will do. Perhaps if you take a class with they you get a discount on equipment. Improve your diving and get a better buy at the same time.

Sorry if you feel flamed. The original post was from someone new to this board looking for feedback and more info on buying, specifically, a Suunto dive computer online. Regardless of whether this poster has 10 or 10,000 dives, their very presence on the board and the question asked indicates a desire to know more than what the average LDS is telling them. I just feel that deserves more than the generic reply about supporting your LDS. As far as training goes, what does that have to do with buying gear? Did you pay sticker price for your last car just so the salesman will give you a discount (maybe) on the next one? Did you feel obligated to purchase driving lessons along with the car? Any LDS that wants to continue to link classes and gear is chasing an unsustainable business model.

There are a couple of European dealers that offer full warranties, though you'd need to ship the critters back over the big pond.
With effecient shipping companies like DHL, I can get a parcel delivered to me in CA faster shipped from the EU than from the East coast.
Marketing agreements prevent those companies from blatantly advertising their goodies here in the US though.
Remember, it ain't Suunto with the fixed prices, its the good ol' US companies.

The biggest reason LDS's can't compete on price is because they choose not to.
No, here in the US there are marketing agreements that restrict what a shop can sell the items for; violate said agreement & they yank your dealership, no questions.
ScubaPro is the most blatant price fixer in the US dive market.

Bob3:
No, here in the US there are marketing agreements that restrict what a shop can sell the items for; violate said agreement & they yank your dealership, no questions.ScubaPro is the most blatant price fixer in the US dive market.

Those marketing agreements typically aren't worth the paper they're printed on. They exist for far more products than just Scuba gear (hi-end stereo equipment, performance car parts, clothing, etc.), yet finding a good price (with warranty) on the other goods isn't nearly as difficult. It all comes down to creativity on the part of shop owners. Some LDS owners haven't seemed to figure that part out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom