SUUNTO SK-7 Retractable or wrist mount??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't recommend the compass with the slate unless you are doing some underwater project. It is a bulky and requires a darn good neutral buoyance (most divers lost their trim when they are doing other stuff). It sounds like you like a simple configuration (because you are using air integrated inflator). If then, the wrist option is way to go... Are you wearing a watch, aren't you? No difference.....

At the most I would need it for local quarry dives here in Indiana/Kentucky, I wish I was diving for lobsters.... I'm still on the fence about this but I am leaning to the wrist side I think. Thanks guys and please keep the comments coming.

I use a DSS wrist mount, and I'm very happy with it. (read as "I show it off to other wrist mount SK-7 divers")

I wear the SK-7 on my right wrist and air integrated computer on my left wrist. No reaching and good streamlining. In really bad vis with no references I can just hold out my right arm and follow the heading. I like the DSS mount and will order one when finish this post.

Jim

myrddin:
At the most I would need it for local quarry dives here in Indiana/Kentucky, I wish I was diving for lobsters.... I'm still on the fence about this but I am leaning to the wrist side I think. Thanks guys and please keep the comments coming.

Hey man, where are you in mid-west. You can check out mine if you want...:D

I am over in Indiana near New Albany. How about you? I think I am going to just order the wrist mount and if all fails Ill buy another retractable later on. I also have my eyes on that Black Passion Demon Scuba Mask :)

Oh well I think most people seem to like the wrist mount or the DSS mount for that guy so I will just go with that idea till I see I need to replace it.

Thank You all

I have mine mounted on the same double-locking strap as my computer. I just rotate it up or down on my wrist depending on which way I'm going. I'm not a big fan of retractors except for after cutting people open. You wouldn't believe the malpractice insurance rates once word gets out that you duct tape people open while you replumb them.

I recently had my console taken apart. Wrist mounted compass and computer with bungies. I must have huge hands and tiny wrists cause it was extremely painful getting the bungies on and then they were loose on my wrists. Im going to keep trying or mabe look into another strap because I really liked it. I was worried about unclipping my spg from left hip D-ring as I was so used to having that big ole brick right in front of my face but it all was good. I could see it fine without unclipping it. I kept the boot just in case I cant find a comfortable strap but once I got the things on I liked it much better.

ScubaTwo:
I recently had my console taken apart. Wrist mounted compass and computer with bungies. I must have huge hands and tiny wrists cause it was extremely painful getting the bungies on and then they were loose on my wrists.

I don't know what size bungie you used, but you might try smaller diameter. I've been moving toward 1/8" from 3/16. The 1/8 takes less force to stretch, and typically stretches further. That provides more total opening to get over your hands, and allows for greater depth compensation for thick wetsuits.

Tobin

I'm wrestling with this one also. I just completed my Nav. Class dives and like the easy accessibility of wrist mount but I wondered how quickly people's arms get too tired or cramped using that Nav position?
Is it no big deal to relax the arms and stretch for 5 secs. and then resume? Being so new to Low Viz. Nav. I wondered if I'd get off course more easily that way?

I chose to hold it in my hands, elbows locked into my sides for those dives but need to decide on a final (maybe) set up.

How valuable do you feel "extending" the lubber line sighting down the length of a retractable compass mounted slate to be? That concept appealed to me on several levels but I'm not yet ready to pop the SK7 out of its' wrist mount quite yet.

Back
Top Bottom