SUUNTO SK-7 Retractable or wrist mount??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...hey Tobin - I'm sensing a new variation of your mount here. I like your mount, but I love having my computer and compass on one set of straps.
One of my biggest concerns was whacking my wrist on something while I was boarding a boat and watching my 'puter vanish into the depths. I lose stuff sometimes, and it always royally p's me off.
The original strap that came with my old OMS EANx/Dive Rite Nitek had a long thick elastic band on it with a 1" plastic snap-lock on it. There was room enough to add two of these straps, and they lock in opposite directions.
I also had room to slide my SK-7 on the same strap. I tested for electromagnetic and magnetic interference but found the two intruments were happy parked on the same strap. I can only use one at a time - if I ever need a compass to figure out which way is up or down, I deserve to slide a few notches down on the food chain anyway - so I just roll whatever doodad I need to look at up to my field of view.
And lets face it - if the two locking snaps both come loose while I'm in the water, I have a whole lot more to worry about than a couple of instruments. I just hope that whatever eats me passes my camera in shallow enough water so someone can find it.
Ok, to wind it up here - if your elastomeric mount had a slot for a nice thick elastic 1" band instead of the two sets of two holes, you could mount a 'puter/BT and a compass together.
Plus I know this setup would gack the DIR'ers so that's another plus.
Those retractors are just made for snagging on something climbing up on a boat. It won't happen often - but when it does, you'll remember this post.

Personally I always have my compass with me. Evertime I dive, I'll note the bearings to any significant element out there, because I hate the feeling of not knowing where I am or where I'll end up in relation to a dive site. Especially one that I've never been to. So for convienence my compass is always on my left arm.

I have the Suunto SK7, and I think it's the best compass out there, but the wrist mount has a strap that could use alittle improvement so I went with an aftermarket wrist mount that works great! http://www.deepseasupply.com/page19.html (I got the suggesstion from another thread awhile ago) it lowers the profile a bit and bungees are much easier than the strap it comes with.

myrddin:
I am over in Indiana near New Albany. How about you

Guess what from my ID…. I am in the center of Hoosier land… LOL~~

jim T.:
I'm wrestling with this one also. I just completed my Nav. Class dives and like the easy accessibility of wrist mount but I wondered how quickly people's arms get too tired or cramped using that Nav position?
Is it no big deal to relax the arms and stretch for 5 secs. and then resume? Being so new to Low Viz. Nav. I wondered if I'd get off course more easily that way?

Like I said, I am using a lot of Nav.. I haven’t had any problem with a compass due to the excessive usage in underwater.. Just relax and enjoy less gravity. Actually, the retractor gives more pain when you hold the compass because it has a tendency to roll back (I know some retractor has the lock though. It is another dangling point).

You can use the bungee cord in one continuous strap or two separate straps. One continuous strap is much easier to adjust the length and tension on your wrist.

I agree with Tom’s idea. It would be great though. I am wondering if there is any manufacturing issue because Tobin has to decide the item matching, for example, BT and SK-7, Vytec and SK-7, etc……

Wrist , no dangeling , its where its needed at all times.

I started out with a console which I ended up taking apart to get rid of the danglies. Personally I have left wrist is compass and right wrist is the computer. For recreational dives it probably shouldn't matter whether it is on a console or on your wrists. I did notice that for cold water diving especially with my dry gloves on rings (Andy's suit), that having the wrist style took a bit of getting used to straps and not bungee style. Bungee style was difficult to stretch around the ring. Straps (like a watch) are easiest for me. If your hands will be in & out of the rocks (bug hunting) then you may want to remain withthe console type. It really should be a matter of personal preference based on your own style of diving.

cool_hardware52:
I don't know what size bungie you used, but you might try smaller diameter. I've been moving toward 1/8" from 3/16. The 1/8 takes less force to stretch, and typically stretches further. That provides more total opening to get over your hands, and allows for greater depth compensation for thick wetsuits.

Tobin

To be absolutely honest I have no idea the size bungie cord I got. I ordered it from you along with the boots for my compass and computer. The smaller diameter makes sense, thanks for the advice. Also, thanks for fast and courteous service.

ScubaTwo:
To be absolutely honest I have no idea the size bungie cord I got. I ordered it from you along with the boots for my compass and computer.

If we sent it to you it's most likely 3/16". We are thinking about adding 1/8" PM your address and I'll mail you a lenght of 1/8.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
If we sent it to you it's most likely 3/16". We are thinking about adding 1/8" PM your address and I'll mail you a lenght of 1/8.

Tobin

PM sent and thank you very much :)

I just purchased an SK-7... I removed the wrist strap and slid 2 bungies through the slot. Works for now.. Will eventually get the DSS mount.

I like the idea of the bungie.. If I *need* to reach into a hole, I can slide the compass further up my arm since the bungie stretches. Can't do that with the regular straps.

Tobin, any thoughts to making a mount for a Dive-Rite Nitek Duo?? I have not found an easy way (without making holes) to mount bungie to my Duo.. Food for thought.

I had a console mounted compass previously, but I have found it much easier to stabilize a wrist mounted one. YMMV

countryboy:
I just purchased an SK-7... I removed the wrist strap and slid 2 bungies through the slot. Works for now.. Will eventually get the DSS mount.

I like the idea of the bungie.. If I *need* to reach into a hole, I can slide the compass further up my arm since the bungie stretches. Can't do that with the regular straps.

Tobin, any thoughts to making a mount for a Dive-Rite Nitek Duo?? I have not found an easy way (without making holes) to mount bungie to my Duo.. Food for thought.

I had a console mounted compass previously, but I have found it much easier to stabilize a wrist mounted one. YMMV

Not currently, sorry

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom