Suunto Vytec vs. Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d once bubbled...
I read somewhere on another post that comapring the Vyper to other comps, NDL limits isn't that much of a difference. In fact I read that the difference is close to 1 minute. Is this true?
It is more conservative (take 5 minutes off of the PADI RDP for 60ft) but in actual use it's not a big deal.
I've logged more than one 45 minute dive with a significant part of the dive being below 100ft.
I ended up going to 120s because I'd burn through 80s on these deeper dives before hitting the computer's NDL.
Oh... this is in cold-ish SoCal water with current... I'd run the computer into deco on almost every dive on the 80s in Cozumel.

For the price, I've been leaning towards the Vyper. For the wireless option to go to they Vytec, it's at least another $400. The transmitter alone is almost $400, which is a lot if you lose it or have it stolen...

wlo93 once bubbled...
For the price, I've been leaning towards the Vyper. For the wireless option to go to they Vytec, it's at least another $400. The transmitter alone is almost $400, which is a lot if you lose it or have it stolen...
Ya... Leisurepro Vyper is $300, Vytec w/o TX is $550.

Still... if one would EVER want to go AI, it's an extra $250 well spent (unless the Vytec is discontinued before you're ready to buy the TX)

lal7176 once bubbled...

We werent talking about flatulance gas :D or did you mean in gauge mode :)

Well both, but.........

A Vyper that has the "V-Planner" option on it, will allow infinite multigas dives using the VPM model. You can program the conservitism, introduce redundancy options and generally improve the overall usability of the computer.
I think the V-Plan option is an extra 30 or so bucks. Its also available on the mosquito and few other models.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Well both, but.........

A Vyper that has the "V-Planner" option on it, will allow infinite multigas dives using the VPM model. You can program the conservitism, introduce redundancy options and generally improve the overall usability of the computer.
I think the V-Plan option is an extra 30 or so bucks. Its also available on the mosquito and few other models.

I user v-planner for deco to 55m and was looking at going to the Vytec for the underwater switch gas as a complement to my slate plan from v-planner.

Your message implies that the Vyper can do this AND run the v-planner model and therefore give me a consistent comparison to the computer model !?

I was not aware of this feature - where to I find out more ?

I also only thought that Vytec was the only one that allowed switch gas under water ?

Big Blue,
Please excuse my sarchasm, the boredom was getting to me :wink:

I use V planner and a Vyper in gauge mode, I never use the RGBM model that is built into the Vyper. Using V planner gives me th option to do anything I like, with multiple gasses.

Why would you want to "compliment" the Slate?

You will find that the RGBM and the VPM are quite differant, and wont be able to draw any comparison.

What I meant by "the extra 30 bucks" is, thats how much Vplanner is to download (dont quote me on that).

Sorry if I was misleading.

Naturally, having the ability to use the AI is great. Further more you can use 3 different mixes during 1 dive and go up to 99% O2.

Do you really need all those features? Are you willing to pay the extra (!!!) cost? You can get the Vyper for around $275 online. The Vytec in a completely different story.

Ari :)

I hear that that's why I'm leaning towards the Vyper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom