Tank maintenance and rust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Just be sure not to use heat or power tools where the surface may get heated in spots due to friction.

The boot you have on your cylinder is a self drain boot, I can see the ridges in the photo. I have some Faber 120's with the solid rubber boot that drains poorly; however, a UWK boot will not fit this cylider because the ridges are too thick. You do realize you just oprned the door for the "GUE anti-boot" crowd to tell you how wrong you are using bots on cyliders:D I ran into their lead tech man the other day at the dive shop and of cource he gave me grief for having boots on my double 130's.

The boot you have on your cylinder is a self drain boot, I can see the ridges in the photo. I have some Faber 120's with the solid rubber boot that drains poorly; however, a UWK boot will not fit this cylider because the ridges are too thick. You do realize you just oprned the door for the "GUE anti-boot" crowd to tell you how wrong you are using bots on cyliders:D I ran into their lead tech man the other day at the dive shop and of cource he gave me grief for having boots on my double 130's.

Right...! Well, I guess I can see one reason for no boots now, but probably not what GUE was thinking about. :)

No. Just be sure not to use heat or power tools where the surface may get heated in spots due to friction.

Not the rotating brush that fits on a power drill? Do you think that I need to do this all by hand with steel wool? How about if I irrigate with water while using the brush, to keep it cool...?

You shouldn't have any problems with a drill and a wire brush. If in doubt, just feel the surface and see if it's heating up. Steel tanks are a pretty good heat sink.

If it starts to glow from the wire brush it's too hot.:rofl3:

Is that tank just painted on the shoulder and neck, like it looks in the photo? It's got to be galvanized, you'd never have a bare steel tank like that otherwise. Or is that some kind of wrap over the yellow paint?

Anyhow, I stripped a couple of old LP72s and re-painted them with ZRC galvilite, it worked great. You really want to get as much on as you can, and let it dry for a good long time. The stuff really hardens up over a few weeks.

Is that tank just painted on the shoulder and neck, like it looks in the photo? It's got to be galvanized, you'd never have a bare steel tank like that otherwise. Or is that some kind of wrap over the yellow paint?

Anyhow, I stripped a couple of old LP72s and re-painted them with ZRC galvilite, it worked great. You really want to get as much on as you can, and let it dry for a good long time. The stuff really hardens up over a few weeks.

It's not galvanized... I think that it is just two different colors of paint...

Sounds like a good plan! Maybe I'll do it in the off season (diving this Saturday)

Okay this is an old post I know, but if anyone else stumbles across it here is some advice for getting rid of rust... Find something called naval Jelly, I used it on the barrel of my Bradley Fighting vehicle's Barrel (25mm cannon) to get rid of rust... Apply let it sit and wipe off it's that easy... as the name states it's what the navy uses on their ships. That's my two cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom