TDI Basic Nitrox Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supplemental reading on your own research (internet) would give you a load of info. however there are at times conflicting procedures.

you may even read doing deep dives last, that is if you use higher percentage of oxygen in decompression for longer periods of time before surfacing etc. but when taken form the articles objective they all make sense.

i have read the basic and advanced TDI manual and got nitox certified , i even have a TDI cert. and yes i do agree witht he others comment on the material, when i first read it (my formal training is in engineering field) with the jokes and drawing....

at anyrate taking from a laymans point of view, it may have been presented as such to be the most basic an less intimidating material the student needs. in depth needs supplemental reading.

well, first im gonna agree with almots everyone here, its the instructor not the agencey.
the TDI books give you the info you need to get a little more fimilar with the new info your learning, and then the classroom work will get you up to speed, as well as the dives in the advanced classes.
as far as the deco class, its best to combine that in with the advanced nitrox class, and i feel it should be perminetly packaged that way, (they really go hand in hand)

as far as the quality of the book. ok 30 is a little much , but its nothing compared to the money your gonna spend on new gear for AN and deco.
if your looking foa a fancy book to show people "look what im doin" then your takin the clas for the wrong reason...
all of your concerns of info you feel was left out ... write it down. and if its not gone over in the class. thow your hand up , and say what about.......
and if you really feel something should be discussed more in depth (no pun intended)
write TDI a letter. and mabye it will be added in the future.
in anycase good luck ith the class, i think you will find that it is worth the moey youll spend.

I too took the TDI Basic Nitrox, but thought the book was a good intro. Weak? . . . Ok. When I did the classroom (6hrs), the instructor didn't even go by the book. He's an "old school" nitrox diver who gave real good information and taught the formula's vs. the tables that are in the book. Outside of the course, I think the guy is a pompus ***, but as far as knowing how and what to instruct, he's excellent. Do I now know everything? NO, but it's only the Basic course.

The TDI course booklet wasnt great - certainly not a "teach it yourself" but then it wasnt intended to be. The instruction itself though was superb and didnt refer to the book at all other than the tables and CNS charts, 5-6 hours of very well thought out slides,worked examples and Q&A which more than made up for the book. It is after all not a very difficult topic. To be honest after the course just the tables and lectures were enough without the book.

agree, TDI book serves it's purpose WITH INSTRUCTOR teaching the course.

woah paolov how'd you leave engineering for scuba instruction? I mean come on engineering is fun :eyebrow: I dunno why i'd even wanna go diving when I could spend some overtime in the cubicle at my internship

NWGratefulDiver:
FWIW - I have yet to see any agency book that's well written. That's partly due to the fact that most of them target their audience as the vacation diver, and write accordingly. And it's partly due to the fact that most of them are not written by professional writers, but by the people who are running the training departments for the various agencies.

Have you read ANDI's CSU manual.
Hey are you watching KCTS tonight?

NWGratefulDiver:
FWIW - I have yet to see any agency book that's well written. That's partly due to the fact that most of them target their audience as the vacation diver, and write accordingly. And it's partly due to the fact that most of them are not written by professional writers, but by the people who are running the training departments for the various agencies.

The larger agencies ... PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. ... package their books nicely. But for the most part, they lack the depth that is required for the student to really benefit from reading the materials. The agencies rely on their instructors to "fill in the gaps".

And if you think the course materials are written poorly, wait till you see the tests ... most of them focus more on your ability to memorize key phrases out of the class materials than they do on your ability to understand the concepts of what you're supposed to be learning.

Many of the really good instructors I've worked with write their own materials to supplement the agency stuff ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Table of contents fromANDI's csu manual 5th edition.. its 130 pages.. The class is at least 10 hrs of lecture, but its not uncommon to run 12 hours+

[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
CHAPTER 1

THE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF SafeAir . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11

Objective (11); Background (11); Predisposition Factors (13); The History of Oxygen-

Enriched Air (14); Diving Computers and SafeAir (15); What is Nitrox? (16); What is

SafeAir? (16); Air is Nitrox! (17); Benefits of SafeAir (17); Review (23); QUIZ (25).

CHAPTER 2

OXYGEN AND THE DIVER - A DISCUSSION of

THE PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF OXYGEN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27

Objective (27); Background (27); Pressure (28); Oxygen and Oxygen Toxicity (31);

Pathophysiology of Oxygen (33); The Oxygen Clock (33); Oxygen Life Support Ranges

(36); Pulmonary/Whole Body Toxicity (37); Working Limits of Oxygen (40); Caution

Zone (40); Oxygen and Deep Diving (42); Oxygen Limits Summary (42); In-water

Decompression Using Oxygen (43); SafeAir 50 (44); Pony Cylinders and SafeAir (45);

Advantages of SafeAir 50 over Pure Oxygen (45); Review (48); QUIZ (49)

CHAPTER 3

MATHEMATICAL PRINCIPLES OF GAS MIXTURES . . . . . . . . . . . . . 51

Objective (51); Symbols Required (51); Equations and Relationships (52); Variations

in the Breathing Mixtures (53); Complete a Few Problems for Practice (63); Review

(64); QUIZ (65).

CHAPTER 4

THE EQUIVALENT AIR DEPTH FORMULA
[/font][font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]The Application of Enriched Air Mixtures [/font][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]and MIXTURE APPLICATION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 67[/font]
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Objective (67); Introduction (67); Equivalent Air Depth (EAD) Formula (67); Examples of EAD Calculations (68); [/font]
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]SafeAir EAD / MOD Graph Calculator (71); Applications of Enriched-Air (74); Review (80); QUIZ (91).

CHAPTER 5

OXYGEN HANDLING

and

SafeAir DISPENSING PROCEDURES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 93

Objective (93); Oxygen Reactions (93); Properties of Oxygen (93); Oxygen Clean (94);

Oxygen Compatible (95); Oxygen Service (96); Oxygen Clean and SafeAir Equipment

(96); Diving Equipment and SafeAir (97); Dedicated Cylinder - Marking and Labeling

(99); Color Coding (99); Cylinder Contents Tag (101); Cylinder Inspection Sticker

(102); Proper Gas Analysis and Record Keeping (103); Methods of Refilling Cylinders

(106); Breathing Gas Purity Standards (108); Partial Pressure Blending (109); Oxygen

Booster Pump (110); Pre-Mixed SafeAir (110); Continuous Blending System (111);

QUIZ (113).

APPENDIX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 114

ANDI DivePlanner SOFTWARE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 115

ANDI NDL DIVE TABLES (imperial & metric) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 116

BUHLMAN NITROX DIVE TABLES (metric) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 121

ANDI STANDARDS for GAS USERS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 125

TEAR-OUT / HAND-IN QUIZZES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 129

[/font]

padiscubapro:
Table of contents fromANDI's csu manual 5th edition.. its 130 pages.. The class is at least 10 hrs of lecture, but its not uncommon to run 12 hours+

]

Yeah but does it come with any green RDPs? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom