TDI Basic Nitrox Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P:
I sent the link to this thread to TDI to let them know (in the first half of the thread) what people are saying about their text. this is the complete reply
David,

The manuals are used to provide you with information about the course. They are not to be used as the only reference but just that a reference to the program that you are enrolled in.
Best regards,

exactly! supplemental reading is always the route to go even if you bought a manual. i have PADI manuals aside from TDI manuals, but i still do read from several sources stuffs some general some more detailed some just for numerical explanations (pressure gradients etc.) even GUE have stuffs available for anyone who is interested to read some of their stuffs.

SCUBABOARD itself has loads of knowledge not found in manuals. AH the COLLECTIVE WISDOM OF THE BOARD !!!

even the Holy bible is not all encompasing complete. but if you follow what is written for the intended reason of the book then you get the purpose of the book.

problem arises when your expectation of the contents differ with your objective.

just my opinion

the only thing that should not be done is to take the information posted on this board and use it blindly. Check sources and make sure JoeDiver12345 knows what he is talking about. Just thought I'd, mention that since there is often some heated threads about what is right.

NWGratefulDiver:
Once again ... this is the BASIC SCUBA DISCUSSIONS forum. The context of the conversation, and my comments regarding the topic of this thread, have to do with recreational scuba ... not tech scuba. Those two things are worlds apart ... which is why there's a separate forum for discussing tech scuba issues.
Gee I thought the name Technical Diving International would have given you the idea of what kind of training they were dealing with. I don't see they are so different.

trevinkorea:
Are the ANDI books better in terms of content. I really don't care what colour it is or how many pretty pictures it contains. I am after content.
I took the ANDI CSU course so I have the manual. I've also read the PADI EANx manual. I'll provide comments on both.

Just to preface my comments, as NWGratefulDiver correctly pointed out, comparing ANDI CSU and PADI EANx isn't "apples to apples". That said, both are recreational diving courses, albeit with distinctly different philosophy and objectives.

At the risk of making a sweeping generality, PADI provides very polished, high quality, well-edited material that has lots of nice pictures (including dive bunnies), but is short on content. The PADI EANx manual teaches you what you need to know to dive EANx 32/36 but little more. If all you want to do is dive nitrox to extend your NDL, this is the course for you. (No sarcasm intended!) In my humble opinion, the two certification dives for this course are a waste of time.

Like the course, the ANDI CSU manual is almost the alter-ego of PADI EANx manual. It's photocopied, it has typos and spelling mistakes, it has no pretty pictures, and it has a lot of dated (although not necessarily incorrect) examples, but it also has lots of detailed explanation about narcosis, oxygen toxicity (cns & whole-body), EAD, MOD, Best Mix, a variety of nitrox applications including accelerated decompression, and lots of information on oxygen safety and gas mixing. This course tries to tell you not only what to do, but also why to do it. The manual is completely self-contained. If you read it cover to cover, did the examples and took the quizzes, you would have very well-rounded knowledge of the material.

ASIDE: I'm glad to see padiscubapro's comment that the ANDI manuals are being re-written. When the already excellent content is tidied up and revised, it will be even better.

Whereas the PADI course is very focussed on a specific objective, the ANDI CSU course is intended as less of an end unto itself, but rather to be a foundation for other courses. If you have plans to some day do decompression diving, this course makes a good prerequisite. Additionally, depending on the instructor, you will get to experience two-mix nitrox diving with a sling bottle including OOA drills, gas switching and tons of other good stuff. (None of the practical diving skills are discussed in the manual.)

All of the above said, the two courses are both well-suited for their intended purposes, so DO NOT TAKE MY COMMENTS ON THE PADI EANX COURSE AS A SLAG.

Have to agree..........with the original post.

wedivebc:
Gee I thought the name Technical Diving International would have given you the idea of what kind of training they were dealing with. I don't see they are so different.

I do.

I think Daryl summed it up pretty well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom