tea and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ew1usnr once bubbled...
How does Lady Grey differ from Earl Grey?

I've never tried Earl Grey so I cannot comment on it's potential negative buoyancy.

Diverlady

Don't forget temperature, Boogie. I have seen actual fights ensue over the temperature of the tea. And I prefer mine with milk, which, of course, kills the viz totally.
And is it safe to use just one tea bag, or does it need a buddy?

Gah, I need to go home. Clearly, I am not doing my job anymore today! :eek:ut:

Very in-tar-rest-ing! So I tried it, and my tea bag hit bottom at once, then twisted this way and that, mucking up the water. I pulled on the string and the tea bag came suddenly to the top full of air, and then I looked more closely.. Ah ha! No wonder. There is a large staple attaching the bag to the string. It's over weighted!

diverlady once bubbled...

I've never tried Earl Grey so I cannot comment on it's potential negative buoyancy.

Diverlady

Lady Grey has less bergamot, so it must be more less bouyant.

If it had been made in the southern U.S., it be iced tea, requiring thermal protection and additional staples.

:eek:ut: D-Don

I got called into an impromptu meeting right after making myself a cup of tea this morning. As my mind wandered away from what my boss was saying, I found myself staring at my tea and noticing that the teabag was neutrally buoyant.

Does this mean I need to go diving more or less?

Diverlady

Neither, it's just your tea bag's way of telling you it's DIR, and beaconing you to join :)

The Lady Grey. . .

A sumptuous blend of oriental teas, Seville orange and lemon peel, flavoured with a hint of Bergamot. Serve black or with a little milk. A classic, yet delicate tea, perfect for the afternoon or early evening.

The Earl Grey. . .

Earl Grey is a classic black tea blend with a distinctive light citrus flavor and lavender-like fragrance. Smooth and aromatic, Earl Grey is delightful in the afternoon or after dinner. Ingredients: Blended black teas with oil of bergamot.

Regarding Boogie's comment

I don't want to see this thread degenerate into a screaming argument over whether or not a Stainless Steel tea-dipper type spoony thing is DIR or not.

Let the argument begin!
The "spoony thing" is definitely not DIR because the spring and hinge mechanism by which most of them operate is an obvious failure point. DIR tea drinkers refer to this as the TDSTOD (Tea Dipper Spoony Thing of Death). True DIR tea afficionados espouse the screw-together tea ball thingy as it is simplicity itself. Of course, the chain and hanger thingy must be removed since it is an entanglement hazard.

Any other opinions on this matter are bulls**t. Anyone with an ounce of brains can see that.

JPC

You guys crack me up!!

Rick: clearly your teabag was a mud-puppy. The staple in my bag was wasn't too big therefore resulting in neutral buoyancy. You seriously need to rethink your choice of tea.
You pulled the string up??? What were you thinking??? Were you trying to give the teabag DCS??

Oh no!! The DIR hijackers are here!!! And apparently my teabag has been in cahoots with them the nasty little traitor!! (I'll have to ditch it!)

So, if the "spoony thing" is plastic with a snap type closure, is it then DIR or still a TDSTOD?

Diverlady

So, if the "spoony thing" is plastic with a snap type closure, is it then DIR or still a TDSTOD?

Diverlady

This is either a troll or you are a complete stroke. Practically anything plastic is a failure point and should be replaced with an equivalent piece in SS.

I'm rethinking the little chain and hanger on the SS tea ball, though. Although it's an obvious entanglement hazard, if it is replaced with cave line, at least there wouldn't be the metal-to-metal connection and it could be easily cut away in case of entanglement.

I'll have to cogitate on that for a while. Hmmmm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom