Technique for staying underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmingperson

Registered
Reaction score
I need to learn how to swim underwater without any gear, just by holding my breath, for ten metres. But I don't know how to stay under. My body goes up. My friend does this weird thing by wriggling his body(without using his arms), and he swims at the bottom of the pool. Are there any techniques to swim underwater like that?

Would I be able to last ten metres without any air?

Also, would I be able to get back up or would I sink like a rock?

yes yes...add about 3 or 4 lbs of weight on a weight belt. No worries, u won't have to ditch the weights. Try it with a big chestful of air.

It is not considered "gear". It is called an "accessory" because "belts" let you "accessorize". Have you all not watched Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?

Lol sorry that is considered "gear". I should be able to do it naked.

It really sounds like you don't have much experience in the water at all. If you swim regularly, you should know if you'd be able to come back up.
Most people will last 3ish minutes underwater with no air before they pass out, if they don't panic and flail around.

Really... progressive class... is it Co-ed?

Actually, if you can take a full breath of air... do a dolphin dive (head down feet up, which will force you down), and level out at about five or six feet under, you might find it simpler to stay down... Your buddy is no magician. He's doing a dolphin 'kick'. You don't need your arms, and it does help get you down.

You're most buoyant in the first meter or so...

Ok thanks. And you are right it has been a year since I learned how to swim and I have just started to learn more.

swimmingperson, I highly recommend you accessorize your dive attire:D. Not so mush with the weightbelt, per say:D

That way, if you have trouble in the effort, you will look good doing it:wink:

and you should "look marvelous" (Billy Crystal???)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom