Technique for staying underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmingperson:
Would I be able to last ten metres without any air?

Also, would I be able to get back up or would I sink like a rock?

OK, exhale halfway.

Just take a good breath so you feel comfortable, duck dive down and start kicking in broad smooth strokes. Assume a slightly feet up posture so your forward movement creates a little downward thrust. With a little warm-up I do the 75 feet at the Y this way. No neoprene (except booties) and no weights even though Im a little more buoyant than I'd like to be.

Pete

ok.....how did swimmingperson make out with swimming the 10 meters??????

and who gets credit for the most useful technique / trick?????

and do any accessorizing?

Bouyancy depends on body fat. Those that have a higher percentage, have a problem staying under while swimming across the bottom (without floating back to the surface) - those with less, have a much easier time.

Exhalation IS the key. I am exceptionally "big", er bouyant, er FAT. In order to get under the water, I need to exhale. I can go to 60 fsw by hyperventilating 3 times and then swimming deliberately to my goal. If you HURRY, you won't make it. Just relax, push and glide.

SparticleBrane:
Did someone just say "Shallow water blackout?"

:lol: :lol: No, no, I have used the same technique, and rescue is not needed, hehe.

I used the dog paddle technique, and although I still can't swim underwater good enough, putting my head down made a big difference(I got to about 4 metres then found myself on the surface). For some reason I didn't try exhaling, I'll try that tomorrow as well.

ps This is a stupid question but does it matter if I exhale through nose or mouth?

Back
Top Bottom