Technique for staying underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Did someone just say "Shallow water blackout?"

Can someone say "There's a specific reason you only do it in and out three times?"

SparticleBrane:

I don't consider 3 breathes no mater how done to be hyperventilation. They're just cleansing breaths, like in Lamaze class.

Pete

rbolander:
Can someone say "There's a specific reason you only do it in and out three times?"

If you truly hyperventilate you will drive down the % of carbon dioxide in your lungs. Rising CO2 is the trigger that you need to surface to breathe. By falsely delaying this you can consume so much oxygen that as you return to 1 atmosphere the PPO drops too low to sustain consciousness. You black out and lacking a buddy will helplessly drown. There are a bunch of varriations on this but this is the jist of the issue.

3 is commonly accepted as enough to get fresh air into your lungs with out exacerbating the risk of shallow water black-out. It does not eliminate the risk.

Pete

SparticleBrane:
Hyper ventilating three times is probably not enough to induce SWB. However, free diving without having a spotter/buddy on the surface is not for those who don't know their limitations. More critical than even Scuba, you should not be trying this if you feel compromised (tired, ill, whatever) as this could contribute to an SWB significantly.

ams511:
Actually a little over 30 ft.
1 meter = 39.3700787 inches

That’s the International Foot, of course. :coffee:

California and many states in the US mandate the US Survey Foot. That’s 1 meter = 39.37 inches. See §8874 of the California Public Resources Code for details.

Of course, it won;t make much difference at 10 meters...:D

Midnight Star:
Bouyancy depends on body fat. Those that have a higher percentage, have a problem staying under while swimming across the bottom (without floating back to the surface) - those with less, have a much easier time.

ohhh man, MS, I am sorry you have those issues....loose some weight and stop eating them TV dinners, boi:wink:

swimmingperson:
...putting my head down made a big difference...

see, if you all did competitive swimming you all would know this:D

FYI - I find it impossible to make it 25 meters when exhaling. I keep a full breath of air in my lungs and my mouth, and I am still able to stick to the bottom even in 3 ft of water or 7 ft of water, as long as I keep my head down and my chin against my chest.

Hyperventilating makes things worse in my oppinion.....I find nice relaxing deep breaths work best before the long haul across the length of the pool.

MS...swimming will help you with your body fat issue:D

sorry, I have to give you attention, you know this....cheers mate:D...luv ya

ianw2:

That’s the International Foot, of course. :coffee:

California and many states in the US mandate the US Survey Foot. That’s 1 meter = 39.37 inches. See §8874 of the California Public Resources Code for details.

Of course, it won;t make much difference at 10 meters...:D

Wait wait wait.....there is essentially no difference between foot, international foot, and california survey foot. Bloody hell mate....1 ft = 0.30480000 meters and one survey ft = 0.30480061 meters. and 1 meter = 39.3700787 inches (for international ft) and 1 meter = 39.36999995 inches (for survey ft), which is what AMS said.

They come out to the same when using level headed rounding. $hit!...at 100 meters, do you realize that the difference between international ft and US survey ft (same as Cal survey ft) is only 1/128th of an inch!!!!!!!!!

We have a jestor in our midst.:eyebrow:

I must say sir AXL72, the world is a sweeter smelling place when your silent. :rofl3: :rofl3::rofl3: :popcorn:

It is amazing, as i look at your posts overall, how you've been able to push, through conversive constructs the social limitations of the forum :D - A fined honed technique I see you have, getting away with things that others only dream about.

An excellent job sir, I salute you. :mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom