Teenage diver quandary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
I wanted to take my 16 yo to buy a reg for him last night but he'd rather hang out with his friends. :confused:
Well, my son is not a daredevil at all. I suppose for that I should be grateful. I know him well enough to know that he really only likes warm water at this point. I took him to Roatan in April 2005 and next month we're going to Bonaire. Simple, easy diving.
We did go to Key Largo together in 2004 and both of us got our AOW then. But I never took him with me to the FG or to NC because it is deep diving and I knew he wouldn't be comfortable. I also didn't take him with me to Thailand because he would b$$% and moan about the flight time. Geeze, he complained about to flight to Roatan. The good thing about Roatan was, I met a group of friends there and he hung out with them because they were cool and his mom is not. In Bonaire, we'll be with other friends of mine, one of whom has a 16 yo son, so my son will have someone to hang with besides his uncool mom.
So I think what I'm saying is, it's great to share the sport, but you have to create circumstances where he will be comfortable and also be able to get away from you. :D
As for gear, well, he has rented up until now, except for my late husband's bc and reg. But I think I'll buy him a skin (pretty cheap) and let him rent a wetsuit in Bonaire.
Will you be my daddy and take me diving too? I promise I won't complain about how long the flights to exotic dive locations are! And my college and braces are already paid for!

fairybasslet:
Yes to you both, but only if you promise to take care of me in my old age.:D
And as long as your college, braces and car insurance is paid for and I don't have to feed you.

Dang....foiled again. :shakehead

Can't help you with your immediate problem, other than a point or two in general about dealing with aliens, uh, teenagers...
Never begin a suggestion with "I want you to..." willing compliance just ain't in the teen genes - it has to be their idea. "If you'd like to run down to the scuba shop for a little pool time I'd be glad to pay for it." - or - "Hey, if you'd like to get your own BC now we can do it - want to go down to the pool and try some out?" Tell the shop what you'll pay for... let them guide him into it. Only offer your opinion if asked for it. Another way that often works is the "I got a good deal on this BP/Wing setup... if you want it, it's yours..."
We'd like to think of money spent on teen things (like Scuba equipment) as investment. Though difficult, it's a whole lot easier on the psyche to think of it as a gift... no strings attached.
Always remember, old age and treachery properly applied will overcome youth and skill every time... never give up :)
Rick

If your son really, desperately wanted to dive, he'd be driving you nuts about it - just like they do about everything else they want to do...staying out past curfew, getting a car, and so forth. When the bug bit me, my LDS couldn't get rid of me. My parents only paid for my OW class and my snorkel gear... I swept floors and cleaned gear and filled tanks and babysat my instructor's kids to work off my first set of gear. It took a long time, but it was worth it. (To me.) Some kids would rather be at home playing video games.

There was a post earlier in this thread about letting your son earn money to purchase the equipment, when they buy it, they want to use it.

My son is a bit older, he is 19, but this has been something that we have done since he was very young. His first major bike, he wanted what all the others had (don't recall what they are called any longer), we told him to save 1/2 the money and we would pay the rest; he loved that bike and used it constanly. His first skate board was the same thing, then we got into the snowboards...there is an expense, I'd like to tell you. When we suggested diving, my husband and I love the tropical vacations, my son would much rather go with the snow, he hates the heat; we have brought him on many of our vacations and he has snorkeled and we asked if he wanted to get OWC, he probably would have said no, but he received school credit for it, so said sure. Long story short, we introduced him to diving but he picked up the ball and wanted to buy all the gear (teens think money grows on trees). We told him to save a portion and we will help with the rest. Other than getting sea sick he loves diving now and is constantly planning the next trip (again, they think money grows on trees).

Giving your child chores around the house is a great way to help them earn money, my thought on it is that we will be giving them the money anyway, might as well make them work for it. My son is now going off to college, we make too much for any of the aids available, so we will be paying for it anyway...so my yard is getting mowed every week for $50, my deck was just stained for $400 (big deck) and so on, this is all going into an account for his living expenses while at school. He gets a nice apartment and my yard looks great.:lol:

CompuDude:
Will you be my daddy and take me diving too? I promise I won't complain about how long the flights to exotic dive locations are! And my college and braces are already paid for!
:lol: Of course I won't be your daddy. I'm a woman. :D

Back
Top Bottom