Teenage diver quandary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Give it time. My son got his OW at 13. Did some lake/quarry diving - didn't like the limited vis or putting on a 5mm suit in 90 F weather. Some of the rental gear didn't fit really well, either. I let it go for a while, but he did act put out when I went on a couple of dive trips without him and he drooled over the pictures I brought back.
Last year, one of my dive shops planned a trip to Key Largo and I "let" him come on the same trip with the understanding that he would do his AOW. He would also have to do some refreshers in the pool with me. He jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, we arrived the day after Rita. He was not able to do the night or deep dives.
He just turned 16. We went to Bonaire about a month ago and he loved it and he finished his AOW dives. He also did his photography with my camera. His stipulation was that I had to do a class as well so I did nav. Yes, at times he acted like a teenager with attitude, especially the first couple of days. But, he has matured some since he first got certified.
Since he has gotten older, he also understands more of the consequences of his actions and the physics of diving. He knows he goes through a tank faster than I do, so he checks his spg regularly and he knows I have no problem turning around when he needs to. He has come out with 600 lb and I still have 2100. He's getting better.
He really enjoys the fact that he is one of the VERY few kids at school that scuba dive (only about 5 out of 1000). He even got the dive flag put on his class ring.

Overall, it did take him a while to decide he really wants to dive. He does have his own BC and reg now, but it wasn't until he was 15. (It was on layaway for a long time and he got it a couple of months before the FL trip.) I did wait a while before I got it. Some of his stuff was b-day, Christmas, etc. and from family.

As for him not liking shore diving, I wasn't really thrilled with some that we did in Bonaire. I had one bruise for almost 3 weeks from the exit from the Hilma Hooker. I can understand his apprehension if he had a similar experience. Make sure the next shore dive is VERY easy - no big rocks, glass-like surface, no urchins, etc. My son and I were both hesitant about our next shore dive after that entry and exit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom